Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hauling 4x8 sheets in a short bed pickup (2012 Tacoma)...

Since it's foam, could you stand them on edge?
    earl

Years ago when I had a Japanese small truck and that same dilemma I did as Sid suggested. I built stands for lack of a better word so I could haul drywall etc and keep it flat. I used 2x4's and had them just slightly taller than the wheel wells. Basically an upside down "T" on the leg with a 2x4 cross bar. I probably overdid it but I made 4 of them and hauled drywall and other sheet goods many times with them. Just my solution that worked for me. As for the height you will be fine because the weight is nothing on your foam board. However if your going far you might want to have a tie down very close to the front edge or put a tarp over them as the top sheet could catch air under the edge and potentially break off. If the strap is within a few inches ofthe edge it should never be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    Mine has them, but they're only 1" deep and exactly 7"wide. They look like the ones you posted
    Mike,

I think that's where a 2x8 would go, but a 2x8 is 7 1/4" wide I think.

You're just talking foam right? I'd put them on their side (think side/long grain if visualizing hardwood) stack them all together, use a ratchet strap to hold them all together like a sandwich, then strap the sandwich down to the bed with some hanging out the end of the bed.

Put some plywood at the outsides if you're worried about the straps damaging the foam.

I would take the $40 tax savings plus whatever else it costs and go to enterprise, rent a cargo van, skip the straps, skip the constructing special rigs to stuff more stuff in a tiny truck. Well, I already own a cargo van, but that is beside the point. How many trips before gas exceeds tax? Not sure the distances but around here 20 sheets of 2" EXP would get you free delivery, to your site, no hassles, no tie down shenanigans, so I wouldn't even put gas in the cargo van I already own to save $40 because I could make more money than that in the time I spent driving to the Borg. I never want to be that guy on the side of the road collecting smashed sheets of insulation and exchanging insurance info with irate drivers who have just gone through/over my lost load. And I've seen that guy before on my local interstate. I followed a guy once returning a full sized prehung entryway in a Miada to the Borg, miracle that thing didn't bounce out, I was behind him giving a wide berth. I know your question was how to do it, but I can't help asking why do it?

Blog Entries
    Skip the notches, then, and cut the 2x6s a bit short. To make them stand up, place a single 2x6 (or even a 2x4) between them and nail it all together in a big 'H' or 'I' formation. Instant stand.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    Mine has them, but they're only 1" deep and exactly 7"wide. They look like the ones you posted
    Use 2X4 or 2X6 in those notches. Either will work fine. I have one 2X6 and one 2X4 I use in my Ford Ranger. I would strap the load down in an X pattern, front left to right rear and front right to left rear. Shouldn't need a lot or pressure to hold the load down. If you are worried about damage buy two sheets of cheap ply and use on bottom and top.

George

Why not have Lowe's deliver it? Did I miss something?

Or rent/borrow a trailer.
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 07-14-2014 at 8:53 AM.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Why not have Lowe's deliver it? Did I miss something?

Or rent/borrow a trailer.
    He's trying to save the 6% PA sales tax($40). Renting anything with wheels will cost more than $40 and if he has it delivered he has to pay the sales tax plus the delivery charge.

What's the worst that could happen?

dumbes1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    What's the worst that could happen?

dumbes1.jpg
    Ey, I do have a sedan, thanks for the idea haha.

4 milk crates. Stack on top and ratchet straps. Bring something to protect the corners.

Had to haul some drywall with my short bed Jeep Comanche. Made up a rack 8' long to fit between the wheel wells, height same as the wells. Tailgate down, strapped the rack across the back (didn't want it to slide out), loaded it up and tied down the rock.

Made the rack outta' 2x4's but thinking about doing it in PVC pipe for future sheet goods.

Just make sure that you have a hand out the window to hold it tight, if you are going to go with this method.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Ask the store if they can band them together and load it with a forKift. I think that would be easier to tie down one big bundle rather than 20 sheets. If your worried about denting the foam panels ask for the foam to be sandwiched between 2sheets of OSB.

FORKLIFT. Darned auto spell...