Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which is your favorite restaurant chain?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Michael,
    Have you tried Five Guys yet? They opened a new store over on Rogers Ave a few months back. Their burgers are fabulous! (Albeit really bad for you!) Warning, only get one order of fries between 2 or even three people, they come in a really large portion.
    5 Guys!!! I try to eat there every time the wife and I come up to Ft Smith. Is usually a toss up between them and Braum's. Braum's would have to be my favorite chain hands down. They produce all their own food and are one of the greatest examples of vertical integration. Unless you live with in 300 miles of Tuttle, OK, they won't open a store in your town. It's an ice cream and dairy store that milks their own cows and has fantabulous burgers!
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I would have to say Skyline chili. It's a Cincinnati thing.
    http://www.skylinechili.com/

Another Cincinnati favorite we eat at a lot is Frischs Big Boy. Just like to sit and be severed and not cost a lot.
    http://www.frischs.com/

One restaurant I have never tried yet but have a friend who just loves the place is Cheddars.
    Guess they don't advertise, just go on word of mouth advertising.
    http://www.cheddars.com/
    Your post reminded me of another option. There's a regional chain called steak 'n shake. They serve Cincinnati style chili in addition to burgers etc. Their chili is not IMO as good as Skyline but they're in a lot more places.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    5 Guys!!! I try to eat there every time the wife and I come up to Ft Smith. Is usually a toss up between them and Braum's. Braum's would have to be my favorite chain hands down. They produce all their own food and are one of the greatest examples of vertical integration. Unless you live with in 300 miles of Tuttle, OK, they won't open a store in your town. It's an ice cream and dairy store that milks their own cows and has fantabulous burgers!
    Sorry, but in my opinion Braum's is not in the same class as Five Guy's. Braum's competes with Wendy's and McDonald's for hamburgers, even though they are much better than most of their competition, they don't even come close to Five Guy's. Don't get me wrong, I do like Braum's hamburgers, I will eat there, while I won't eat at most any other fast food place, like McDonald's or Burger King, etc. Braum's does Ice Cream really well, but hamburgers? Not so much.

BTW Justin, where is Hatfield, AR?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-16-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The problem I have with all the chains is the noise level.

You have to yell to talk to someone across the table from you.

Now if I am going out for a fast food hamburger I will hit Whataburger or 5 Guys.

Sorry, but in my opinion Braum's is not in the same class as Five Guy's. Braum's competes with Wendy's and McDonald's for hamburgers, even though they are much better than most of their competition, they don't even come close to Five Guy's. Don't get me wrong, I do like Braum's hamburgers, I will eat there, while I won't eat at most any other fast food place, like McDonald's or Burger King, etc. Braum's does Ice Cream really well, but hamburgers? Not so much.

BTW Justin, where is Hatfield, AR?
    Maybe you got a bad burger at Braum's. I agree 5 Guys is much better, but Braum's burgers sure beat the fire outta any other fast food chain I've tried.

Hatfield is 15 miles south of Mena. It's a "no stop light" po-dunk town who's only claim to fame is Hatfield Lumber (pine 2x material). We're about 90 miles due south on Hwy 71.
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Maybe you got a bad burger at Braum's. I agree 5 Guys is much better, but Braum's burgers sure beat the fire outta any other fast food chain I've tried.

Hatfield is 15 miles south of Mena. It's a "no stop light" po-dunk town who's only claim to fame is Hatfield Lumber (pine 2x material). We're about 90 miles due south on Hwy 71.
    We have a Braum's in Alma which is only about a 10 minute drive from my house. Just about every Sunday evening we go get an ice cream treat there and ever now and again we get a cheeseburger and fries when cooking at home is not practical or we just get lazy. But to me, it is just not all that good, The basic ones I do on the grill are way better, and Five Guy's is way better than what I can do.

But anyway, if you happen to be up this way sometime, give me a shout before you come and we can get together to talk some woodworking, or I can give you a tour of my shop.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

skyline may be in cincy BUT it not cincinnate , cincy is Goldstar Chile
    Last edited by ray hampton; 07-16-2014 at 3:17 PM. Reason: spell correct

But anyway, if you happen to be up this way sometime, give me a shout before you come and we can get together to talk some woodworking, or I can give you a tour of my shop.
    Sounds good, Larry. I come up from time to time for some disc golf at Ben Geren Park. I hear Alma has a decent course so that sounds like a good excuse for me to try it out.
    -Lud

A huge thank you to everyone for your help ,advice and suggestions

I totally agree with the principle of eating at independant restaurants when ever possible

On this holiday we have eaten at

Side street cafe Bar harbor excellent
    Ruby tuesday very good
    The lobster Dock Booth bay harbor very good
    Guinness and Porcelli's Bar harbor poor
    Jordon pond Acadia national park acceptable but eexpensive only 2 scallops in my clam chowder $16
    Brodies pub near Peabody disapointing

On previous vistis to the USA we have enjoyed food at Olive grove ,5 guys, In and out burger, Shake and Shake and TJ friday , 22 years ago we went to Legal seafoods in Boston and had a superb meal

The reason for the question about chains was two fold one time constaints of finding food on route and two teenage children who can be impossible to please

regards and thanks Brian

Ps We have visted the USA 8 times on holiday starting 24 years ago with our honeymoon and have brought the 2 children to the US. on 5 occasions

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    A huge thank you to everyone for your help ,advice and suggestions

I totally agree with the principle of eating at independant restaurants when ever possible

On this holiday we have eaten at

Side street cafe Bar harbor excellent
    Ruby tuesday very good
    The lobster Dock Booth bay harbor very good
    Guinness and Porcelli's Bar harbor poor
    Jordon pond Acadia national park acceptable but eexpensive only 2 scallops in my clam chowder $16
    Brodies pub near Peabody disapointing

On previous vistis to the USA we have enjoyed food at Olive grove ,5 guys, In and out burger, Shake and Shake and TJ friday , 22 years ago we went to Legal seafoods in Boston and had a superb meal

The reason for the question about chains was two fold one time constaints of finding food on route and two teenage children who can be impossible to please

regards and thanks Brian

Ps We have visted the USA 8 times on holiday starting 24 years ago with our honeymoon and have brought the 2 children to the US. on 5 occasions
    if you are still up here in New England and make it over to Vermont, let me know where and i can recommend some good places to eat. Ditto for the coast of Maine.

We are currently in Cape cod and will be heading to Boston Sadly will will not be visiting Vermont

regards Brian

My wife and I try to not eat at chains when we travel. We just like to try different things. But, sometimes, nothing beats a country fried steak, okra, green beans, and fresh biscuits from Cracker Barrel...
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 07-21-2014 at 9:41 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    I spoke imprecisely earlier. I don't patronize restaurant chains except Starbucks. Mostly I patronize them when I travel; especially internationally. When you are jetlagged, you can find most Starbucks will have at least someone who speaks english (I can converse in German, have a travelors command of french & castilian spanish and can get by a little in japanese) and the standard terminology is used for "Latte, cappiccino, etc..." It makes mornings easier...

Tangential comment: one of our favorite restaurants just changed hands. They were located next to a cineplex. They used to sell wonderful mexican food. When the cineplex moved the clientelle went as well. They sold the restaurant to someone else. The food went downhill. We are on the look for a new place. Should be easy around here.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Fast food - Chick-Fil-A

Sit down - No favorite...We like to try the places featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dive's. Combining that with user reviews from Yelp, we are usually very pleased. It does take a little pre-planning, but with smart phones, it is pretty easy. My favorite so far has been the Glassed Onion in Charleston, SC. Any place that has a daily changing menu based upon meat and vegetable availability is always a leading choice for me.

I entirely agree with the sentiment of supporting the local eccomony and for the reasons set out in the artical below refuse to enter a Starbucks in the United Kingdom

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-19967397

regards Brian