Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

14 July 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    We've been busy as usual with this construction project. I spent the weekend putting up vinyl siding and outside light fixtures. Waited until the sun went down yesterday to go out in the heat and work on the driveway and move some dirt around. I'm busy getting ready for my power cut-over that is scheduled to take place this coming Wednesday. I'm hoping that all goes well for that. I can say that I'm ready for some drier weather around here. Every time I see the ground starting to get dry enough to do some minor ground work, it comes up a storm and dumps more rain and puts me even further behind. I need about 2 weeks of dry weather......

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have an old cabinet in my garage that someone had given me years ago. I had added some HF castors years ago and fitted it with a makeshift top. It has two cabinet doors and two drawers and it's mostly been used for storage ever since. I decided I wanted to make it a bit more functional, and turn it into a mobile tool stand. The problem was the castors did not lock, and were set far enough under the unit that even if I had fit locking castors, they would be out of reach of my foot. A mobile tool stand that won't lock in place struck me as unsafe.

Rocker had HTC mobile bases on sale, so I grabbed one and went about replacing the castors with the mobile base. Well, stupid me, once I took the HTC base out of the box, I saw that sitting the cabinet on the HTC base, the cabinet doors wouldn't open (would be restricted by the front of the HTC base). So I grabbed a 2x6 and cut out four rails to attach to the bottom "lip" of the cabinet, and then was able to sit the cabinet into the mobile base. Not all that fancy, not all that innovative, and certainly not pretty, but the results of my efforts have given me a nice sturdy tool stand complete with enclosed storage (doors and drawers) that I can easily move around when I need to, and that will stay put when I need it to. Oh, and my scroll saw fits nicely inside.

Oh, and I scored a Ridgid spindle/belt combo sander for a hundred beans on Craigslist...sits perfectly on my upgraded mobile tool stand.
    Last edited by Glenn Howard; 07-14-2014 at 12:04 PM.

I went to Woodcraft and got myself a collet chuck!!!!! I got the Wood River brand. Also took the opportunity to give it a trial run, man does that beat holding a finished piece and trying to either put it in a vice, without harming the surface or holding it by hand and hitting it with a cordless drill.

Blog Entries
    In between watching the world cup games, I finished making 3 hammers. Plane hammer, chisel hammer and heavy duty hammer. You can see these in the Neanderthal forum if you are interested. Holland beat Brazil and Germany won the World Cup. All is right in the world.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Late entry...I didn't have a lot of time in the shop, but I got it cleaned up and ready to start on my new tack trunk commission as well as "fixed" the audio system so I'd have tunes again while working. Otherwise, it was a normal equestrian weekend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spent the weekend playing with the visiting 4 year old granddaughters and 2 year old grandson.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....