Thread: Ten Commandments chip carving

Ten Commandments chip carving

In March I decided that I would chip carve the 10 commandments in a wooden scroll for this years large carving. It's been a long drawn out journey but I finally completed it just in time for the first woodcarving show. This is all 8/4 basswood glued together to make the 28" wide x 36" tall scroll. Carving the scroll and chip carving was the easy part for me. The design process is always the tough part for me. I also did something different for me and that was the stain highlighting of a few areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Always Chipping Away"

Roger, that is beautiful! Not sure I have the patience for that, but I am glad you did.

I'm not clear what the text is- carving or wood burning.

Either way, it's extraordinary. A beautiful piece.

All lettering and anything else that is dark is all cut with a knife. The letters took about 30 sec. each to carve.
    "Always Chipping Away"

Looks like cnc to me

That is beautifully done.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Strautman View Post
    All lettering and anything else that is dark is all cut with a knife. The letters took about 30 sec. each to carve.
    Really? ,,, OK, carving the entire script in 5 hrs. then? You're keeping up with a laser.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-15-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Yundt View Post
    Really? ,,, OK, carving the entire script in 5 hrs. then? You're keeping up with a laser.
    Laser! Are they that slow? I spent one 8 total hour day cutting the letters. It's like when you were banging out 2000 lf of trim. By the time you are halfway thru the job you have it down as to the order of cuts which speeds the whole process up.
    "Always Chipping Away"

I can't compare apples and oranges. These are two different things.
    We would like though to see some close ups of the lettering. It's always a good topic with much interest.
    The Woodworking Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Yundt View Post
    I can't compare apples and oranges. These are two different things.
    We would like though to see some close ups of the lettering. It's always a good topic with much interest.
    The top title caps are 1 7/8" and small are 1 1/4". The small letters in 1-10 are 5/8"-1/2"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Always Chipping Away"