Thread: The Chair - Shaping the Arms and Back (Part 1)

The Chair - Shaping the Arms and Back (Part 1)

Here is my weekends work.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...BackPart1.html

Comments and critique always welcome - would you approach this differently? Would you prefer a different glue?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Have enjoyed this project. Thanks for posting.

I am recently intrigued by Old Brown Glue which I believe is regular Hide with urea to increase open time, and reduce the melting point.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I was surprised you got as far as you did before needing to glue it together. I appreciate that you left clamping surfaces between the arms and the back. Very smart.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I would think it would be easier to shape all at once as opposed to pieces. It'll be easier to carry a contour from arm to arm across the back if it's all glued up, or at least that's my thought.

I'd also use my Auriou rasps to do the shaping, but hey, if I could use them for about anything, I probably would. The Cabinetmaker 6 grain and Modeller 13 grain shape awesomely.

Can't wait to see it finished!
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I think you usually have to do both. The transitions have to be done after, and the overall shape requires refinement after glue up, but clamping the whole glued-up shebang can be difficult, so I for one prefer to rough shape the individual pieces as much as possible.