Thread: Inkscape for woodworking

Inkscape for woodworking

New guy here,

For anyone interested in learning a little bit about Inkscape for woodworkers I have a couple of quick demos showing you how easy it can be to start to design a small end table and one for a quick sign design.
    These were meant to be simple and not to go overboard, just to peak your interest . I plan on doing more and getting into more complex as I go.
    Please let me know what you think, good or bad
    Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1F...N83JzqQ/videos

Welcome to SMC.

That's an interesting video. I've used Inkscape for various things but never thought of using it to draw a piece of furniture. I doubt I'd change over to it now for that but some folks might like it.

Dave, thanks for the reply, for me Inkscape is just another tool in my tool box, it's my pencil and paper and quick and easy way to play around designs, like anything else it has it's place and the price is right.

The laser print transfer technique seems really useful. The drafting video is less so to me because I have become accustomed to designing in 3-D with Sketchup. I currently use Adobe Illustrator for designing 2-D signs but the version is old. A new version is very expensive and is only available through a completely unacceptable (to me) subscription service. I have been thinking Corel Draw but maybe I ought to give Inkscape a try first to see if it will do all I need. Thanks for the information. The videos were nicely done.

I would like to see more demonstration videos if you have the time.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 07-16-2014 at 8:43 AM. Reason: Added final comment.

As long as it works for you, Dutch.

I'm with Art, though. SketchUp for furniture design. 3D in no more time than 2D in Inkscape with the option to make 2D views if needed.

Inkscape is cool for the flat stuff like signs. I've done some clock faces with Inkscape. It's handy for that.