Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats causing this chatter?

PS: you never said if you are jig sharpening or free handing. Come on . . . you can tell us . . . don’t be shy . . .
    The guys make fun of me all the time and call me insane and worse . . .
    do I care ?
    (it hurts but I soldier on none the less)

No really it will only be some, the other camp will be carrying you around on their shoulders and calling you their next leader. In their minds anyway.
    Right ?

so come onnnnnnn tell us . . .

I”ll have you know I gave up my fourth episode of MacGyver tonight to post this.
    Ha, ha
    You see Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer has been at some evening art classes and gallery doings so when she does that I get to watch my MacGyver episodes when I get home from work. I have all the seasons on DVD. It’s a lot of episodes.
    Tooooo violent for Q so she prefers I don’t watch when she is around. I understand that. No prob.
    annnd I like to watch them while the sun is still up. Just one of my weirdnesses. I really hunker down and get into other projects after the sun goes down. I’m a night owl . . . annnnnyway . . .
    I was about to watch my fourth episode when I took a little break, you understand, and looked in at this thread to see how it’s going . . .
    and the rest, as they say, is history . . . or soon to be if I can get past this intro . . .

I never say this when I am just talking but I gotta use it here . . .

"Look ". . .
    forget the skew. That effectively lowers your cutting angle. My intuition tells me what is going on could be that there is a gap between the plank / work and your bench. When you changed the way you pressed down (when you skewed the other way) then you effectively pinned the board and closed up the gap (or some such) and the gap was allowing your board to flex or teeter under your plane contributing to the chatter.

Ha, ha, ha, ha
    You backed off the chip breaker and the cut was better. That’s priceless.
    As I always say the best gap between the chip breaker and the edge, at least in my shop is about twenty FEET. That is where my shop door is. Wedge the chip breaker under the door to help hold it open. That's my strategy.

NOW
    In the photo are anti flexy tools. The rectangular flat strips on the right are basically thickish writing paper cut offs that I am always producing as scrap (I won’t go in to why). I grab a hank of these and stuff them into gaps.
    the wood things standing on edge so you can see the thickness are 1/4 inch plywood scrap (center) and two door hanging shim / wedges. Lastly the white trashy looking cut out thing is just plastic display card that comes around various products. I save them for shim / padding for various tasks.

When I plane I plane on a very flat bench. Where ever the plank teeters and has gaps I place various combinations of this junk under it in the gaps so there is NO flexing and no teetering. That takes care of some of the chatter but more importantly allows me to make the planed surfaces flat rather than have them go from convex to concave and back again with each plane stroke.

Could this be happening with you ? Is your bench flat ? If you plane on a bench that is out of flat and then move the work to another area and plane again the work COULD . . . PERHAPS . . . flex and cause chatter just when you got it all adapted to the previous bench surface anomalies.

Varitas straight edge ? ? ? ?
    I have two aluminum ones for checking for flat (not rulers). Mine are not flat / straight. Be ware.

And over all with one of my bevel ups I could plane straight on, skew to the right, skew to the left . . . it would make no difference. Now if I were cutting across the grain say on a raised panel then a skewed BLADE would be a good idea but all this holding our tung just right by skewing one way or t'a other is just . . . how do I put this gently ? More bevel downness.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-19-2014 at 12:33 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I have had boards like that. The grain seems to undulate between raising and falling in a particular spot.

jtk
    Boards with interesting figures and grain patterns are intriguing because of grain that isn't straight.
    The real advantage of having tools that move over the wood as opposed to passing boards over a stationary tool
    is that you can follow the grain pattern and reveal these figures as a smooth surface.

I think that veneering techniques improved as people migrated to power tools.
    Cutting this sort of thing on a jointer or lunchbox planer is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks guys!

Jim: I did forget to provide some basic information, didnt I? The chatter Im seeing is the kind you describe as "bouncy". Bothe the MF9 and the #2 have cambered, blades with 25* primary bevels and an additional 5* secondary bevel. For the kind of woods I typically work these have been good angles that make nice shavings. I didnt get into the shop last night so I havent had a chance to check that screws are tight, etc. But I just realized there is one difference in blade geometry -the secondary bevel on the MF9 is MUCH wider than the one on the #2. That makes me suspect that the small number of honing strokes Im using are NOT sufficiently working that edge. Maybe Im just not getting past the wear. Im going to take that blade back to 25* and create a new secondary bevel. Thank you Jim! Darn newbie mistake.

(I did try stropping a couple times and seemed to round my edge. Its on my list to learn more about one day.)

Anyway, Ill check all the other things you guys suggested when I get back out there. This may be a combination of small things. Thank you. As alwYs, I appreciate your help and advice!

Fred
    PS: Win - As always, I enjoyed your posts Sir. Thanks for the laughs. You are too funny.
    So the solution was straight forward and the KISS principle applied. Occam's razor, a tool that you can take to any woodworking situation in your shop. Congratulations Frederick.