Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a contest for the best use of old PC bases ???

Have you seen the whacked out 20 somethings walking the streets of America lately? Earrings. Definitely earrings.

Leave my radial arm saws out of this. If you don't love your Delta or DeWalt RAS, you can donate them to the URASO (Unloved Radial Arm Saw Orphans) foster home near you.

The closest one is in Upland CA.

Rick Potter

Swisssshhhh.....TWO POINTS into the garbage can! There's your contest!

Seriously, the recall was done for reasons to justify the safety of your health and property. Are you willing to risk that? Play BasketBase...two points win!

Made the phone call on on July 7. Got it on July 16. That's pretty fast, coast to coast.

Called in to get the new base, thanks Bill for the notification. Well she insisted that I not use the current one because it could be "deadly." Oh my.....well it was a very overly-dramatic remark considering how many owwm machines I own don't have any safety on them at all. One old metal drill shocks whomever uses it as soon as the person grounds himself. I lend that one out to "friends" who ask to borrow tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Called in to get the new base, thanks Bill for the notification. Well she insisted that I not use the current one because it could be "deadly." Oh my.....well it was a very overly-dramatic remark considering how many owwm machines I own don't have any safety on them at all. One old metal drill shocks whomever uses it as soon as the person grounds himself. I lend that one out to "friends" who ask to borrow tools.
    Good friends are hard to find, I hope that they return the drill after they finish the job

Turn a wood plug to fill the hole and bore it for marking instruments. I have a coffee can now, PC base would be a lot cooler. I have six, but have not called them yet.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Swisssshhhh.....TWO POINTS into the garbage can! There's your contest!

Seriously, the recall was done for reasons to justify the safety of your health and property. Are you willing to risk that? Play BasketBase...two points win!
    So...the thing can ground out to the base, and their solution was to wrap the handles in rubber and tell you never to touch the metal parts while its plugged in? We've all been using this thing for years, anyone here ever been shocked by it before? Even the slightest buzz in the fingertips? My problem with this solution if there is indeed a problem is that from time to time I may be holding the handle with one hand and guiding the body of the tool with the other hand when going around corners. Or my forearm might inadvertently touch the metal parts during a routing operation. If the body of the tool stands a serious chance to go live, you shouldn't be using the tool and just hoping you don't touch it. I'm ordering the base not because I believe there is serious a safety issue but because its cool to get new parts for a tool, and an extra base could come in handy, maybe a portable router table base in my future. My guess is somebody got shocked with an old beater with a loose ground or bad wiring, the lawyers got involved, we all get new bases. I'm no electrician, but does wrapping the handles on a tool whose body is electrified with 120V seem like a judicious way to proceed? And can I not just wrap the handles on my present base with an insulating material and get the same performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    So...the thing can ground out to the base, and their solution was to wrap the handles in rubber and tell you never to touch the metal parts while its plugged in? We've all been using this thing for years, anyone here ever been shocked by it before? Even the slightest buzz in the fingertips? My problem with this solution if there is indeed a problem is that from time to time I may be holding the handle with one hand and guiding the body of the tool with the other hand when going around corners. Or my forearm might inadvertently touch the metal parts during a routing operation. If the body of the tool stands a serious chance to go live, you shouldn't be using the tool and just hoping you don't touch it. I'm ordering the base not because I believe there is serious a safety issue but because its cool to get new parts for a tool, and an extra base could come in handy, maybe a portable router table base in my future. My guess is somebody got shocked with an old beater with a loose ground or bad wiring, the lawyers got involved, we all get new bases. I'm no electrician, but does wrapping the handles on a tool whose body is electrified with 120V seem like a judicious way to proceed? And can I not just wrap the handles on my present base with an insulating material and get the same performance?
    someone got the shock that took his LIFE, while I can not recall the date that this happen , I do recall that the newspaper [cincinnati ]saying that a man was drilling a ho[e under his car [slight rain storm] and were electrocution [spell check]

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    someone got the shock that took his LIFE, while I can not recall the date that this happen , I do recall that the newspaper [cincinnati ]saying that a man was drilling a ho[e under his car [slight rain storm] and were electrocution [spell check]
    And these new bases will not prevent that kind of ignorance, nor the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I'll bet you the people at places like Porter Cable are constantly amazed by field reports of how their tools are used.

For a while I had 2 7518 routers and the bases while visually identical we're not interchangeable. Was not able to turn the motor into the other units base. Makes me question if a new base would even be guaranteed to fit?

A single wrap of Scotch 33 electrical tape is rated to 300 volts and no one would use just one wrap so you could easily do this if you prefer. Not sure how one would get shocked unless standing with bare feet on concrete!

As an electrician - all "good" electricians have been shocked a few times and I have been more than I should. It was when I got across 480volts hand to elbow that it really hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    And these new bases will not prevent that kind of ignorance, nor the consequences.
    there is one type of base that will prohibit getting shock by a electric tool, A BATTERY PACK TOOL , 12 to 24 volts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    For a while I had 2 7518 routers and the bases while visually identical we're not interchangeable. Was not able to turn the motor into the other units base. Makes me question if a new base would even be guaranteed to fit?

A single wrap of Scotch 33 electrical tape is rated to 300 volts and no one would use just one wrap so you could easily do this if you prefer. Not sure how one would get shocked unless standing with bare feet on concrete!

As an electrician - all "good" electricians have been shocked a few times and I have been more than I should. It was when I got across 480volts hand to elbow that it really hurt!
    I been shocked by 110 volts house current and with a spark plug wires this cause me to pull my hand back which usual cause more pain than the shock, I am not a electrician by any sense of the word but still do the work to save money

15. Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have six, but have not called them yet.
    FYI they will send them out in six separate boxes!
    I have three of them and was quite surprised by the inefficiency of the package... one box alone seems like it could hold 8 of the bases! But, now that I think about it, I bet these are all pre-package probably by an outside company and are ready to go and all they have to do is slap a label on them and out the door they go.
    I wonder how long this design has been around? I know I bought my first one in 1993 or '94 just after I saw Norm Abram use one.
    Last edited by Tony Haukap; 07-18-2014 at 5:19 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]