Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a contest for the best use of old PC bases ???

Do we need a contest for the best use of old PC bases ???

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Safety-Recall

I know the letter said dispose the old base but I was wondering what I could do with the old one.

So should we have a contest to see how could come up with the best use of the old base?

It would not have to be used for woodworking, just using the base for something.

I am wondering if can recycle?

Blog Entries
    2nd router table ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Does anybody know how long does it take to get the base?

5. I was thinking along the same lines... I was going to put it in this weeks trash, but didn't and thought that if I could find a glass beaker the right diameter it would make a great mug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anyone know why they are suddenly unsafe? I have one and have used some pretty old ones, never gotten shocked. Doesn't look like they changed the way the motor is insulated or grounded, they just wrapped some tape around the handles. Perhaps a $1 roll of electrical tape around the handles would make the base serviceable again as a router base? Guess I'm going to call for the recall but if the new base is in anyway less smooth or less comfortable than the old one it will be the one getting repurposed. Perhaps I could epoxy a pair of rubber gloves to the old base?

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay Kumar View Post
    Does anybody know how long does it take to get the base?
    I emailed them with all the info on 7-2-2014 and it came in yesterday.

I could see them used as legs for a cabinet, and the bases would make sliding it around a lot easier.

Well as to unsafe.? My old bosch router did have electric tape on the cord for a careless moment......

looks like you could put a big mug inside. Would be a pretty interesting double handled coffee/beer mug
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Y'know the huge machines that crush a car into a dense little bale? I've seen pics of a coffee table made with a sheet of glass over one of those crushed cars. How 'bout you get lots of folks to contribute their Speedmatic bases, to crush them into a table base?

(And if you can't get enough Speedmatic bases, you can add a radial arm saw or two.)

WHY not keep the old base in case the new one fail for some reason
    DO they still make/sell the solution that you drip tools handles into or was it spray on the handle, either way , the old base could be insulate so that you will not get shock

I called on Friday and got the new base on Tuesday. I had mine mounted in a Woodpeck Unilift and took me about 45 minutes.

I still have no idea what this base is helping with especially since I have mine mounted in a router lift. It must be something as they are spending a lot of money on this recall.

I have 2 of the old bases.. The 7518 is an icon router .. gonna keep the old metal ones as collectors items..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have 2 of the old bases.. The 7518 is an icon router .. gonna keep the old metal ones as collectors items..
    The new base is just like the old one, made of metal the difference is the new one has a covering on the handles so you can't get shocked.