Thread: Cranked-Neck Paring Chisels

Cranked-Neck Paring Chisels

Lee Valley has started offering a Set of 4 Narex® Cranked-Neck Paring Chisels.
    They are on sale for $79 until the beginning of August.
    I have often wanted to be able to lay the back of my chisel flat on the wood. Seems like cranked-neck chisels would be a useful addition to my hand tool set.
    Do you own any? How useful do you find them?
    Thanks,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kanter View Post
    Lee Valley has started offering a Set of 4 Narex® Cranked-Neck Paring Chisels.
    They are on sale for $79 until the beginning of August.
    I have often wanted to be able to lay the back of my chisel flat on the wood. Seems like cranked-neck chisels would be a useful addition to my hand tool set.
    Do you own any? How useful do you find them?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    I have an old Marples crank-necked 1 inch paring chisel. I almost never use it. It seems like the situations where I imagined it would be better than a straight chisel almost never happen (e.g. I much prefer a router plane for cleaning up the bottom of dados and such). For trimming things flush I have a wide-sweep gouge that I prefer because it is easier to keep it from digging in at the edges.

I have a set of Diamic chisels from Henry Taylor.

I've never needed them. A good router plane and paring chisel are sufficient.
    What's the application where the Narex Cranks would come into play?

The Narex steel is excellent value for money.

(It's very funny that Steve B was posting the same things mentioned, at roughly the same time - regional preference, maybe?)

Blog Entries
    I have a 3/8" Diamic that I purchased for this function. It always seems wide enough and narrow enough for what I am doing so I have not expanded the range. If I buy more, I have to store them somewhere. I have reached the point in my tool buying that something really has to pull its weight to get a spot in the shop. The 3/8" Henry Taylor pays its way but, I have yet to need another size in this format.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have some nice ones that I thought I needed. With the exception of a few acoustic guitar building procedures they remain in their drawer. I wouldn't if I was you and I love buying tools.

Blog Entries
    I've already ordered them. I don't know why, I guess the devil made me do it.

I have the regular narex paring chisels and they are definitely nice for the money. I just don't think I can justify another set of paring chisels. I do love tool hoarding but I think I will passon these and wait for whatever bounty Chris Griggs has seen coming in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I have a set of Diamic chisels from Henry Taylor.

I've never needed them. A good router plane and paring chisel are sufficient.
    What's the application where the Narex Cranks would come into play?

The Narex steel is excellent value for money.

(It's very funny that Steve B was posting the same things mentioned, at roughly the same time - regional preference, maybe?)
    +1

If you plan your work properly ahead, you won't need such chisels. If you have a bit of money to spare, there is no harm getting a set, of course.

Simon

Thanks everyone.
    My summary for the comments is that one cranked-neck chisel might occasionally be useful. A set is a waste of cash and space.
    Since I don't have enough shop space or money, I'll save both for something more useful.

I have at least two full sets. I *L*O*V*E* them. There is no better tool for cleaning up glue squeeze out inside a box of any kind (box, drawer, cabinet, etc.), or cleaning up the bottom of a dado or groove, or, if you don't want to grab a handle plane, for delicate paring something off of the middle of a flat piece of wood. The ability to pare flat, and in a controlled manner, instead of at an angle, or riding a short bevel, is awesome.

$20/each is a good price for such a must-have tool in certain situations. I would bet that if those that have them would grab for them first, they would earn a better place in their shop.

(yes, 2 sets is overkill, and I acquired all of mine through bulk purchases of complete estates)

Well, Todd,
    If I had waited 30 minutes and seen you post, I might have said something different.
    Now, what to do, what to do...

One wider variety cranked neck paring chisel would be a good entrée. 3/8", for the only one, is a bit narrow for my preference. If I had to pick only one, I would pick 1". You get great stability with that much iron riding a flat surface, and can cover good distances quickly too (visualizing myself removing dried glue out of the insides of boxes).

I got the email a couple of days ago and was going to start a thread on pro/con but I see that someone has already beat me to it. I am thinking that the set of four would be overkill (and something else to store) but MAYBE one (3/4 - 1"?) might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I've already ordered them. I don't know why, I guess the devil made me do it.
    Sometimes ya just gotta scratch an itch