Thread: My loathing of Christmas-colored planes

Blog Entries

My loathing of Christmas-colored planes

Call me a grinch if you like, but if Kunz were to come out with the most awesome, truest, sharpest, finest plane ever created, I probably would pass it up just because of the awful choice of color. They look like they should have jingle bells hanging from them.

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/category/kunz

You should avoid buying them no matter whatever color they are painted. They are horrible quality.

But the olives are the best part of the martini ....
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

LOL, that’s how I feel about Woodworker’s Supply in-house Woodtek brand machinery. It hurts my eyes.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Have seen go THROUGH my rehab shop: Shipleigh's #4 in Brown, a Worth #4 in a record like Blue. An Ohio Tool Co. 05c in Crimson/red, and a Corsair C-5 ( currently my go-to scrub jack) in OSU Scarlet. Of course, there are a few in a Beechwood flavour, too....

Have seen a few Millers Falls light gray, too. Currently have a #1455 Low Angle ( NIB) in the shop. I have seen ONE coloured a "teal" colour, but it was by parplus. Have also seen a white bodied one float by.....

Besides the color the prices scared the dickens out of me. Add $10 to the price of the #5 jack and you can have a Veritas low angle jack. No sand blasting required.

-Tom

I bought one little Kunz palm plane, messed and messed with it. Recycled it with my other scrap metal. Lesson learned I like the green though... Now where is my vermouth? Oh no I only have Kalamata olives, perhaps I'll ring Sean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    Besides the color the prices scared the dickens out of me. Add $10 to the price of the #5 jack and you can have a Veritas low angle jack. No sand blasting required.

-Tom

+1 I had no idea their planes were that expensive. I can't imagine they sell that many 4's or 5's, yet they stay in business. Someone must be buying them. They look to be more of a mint green...exciting!

No clue about the "premium" planes, but would buy US or canadian for that premium price.

I had three pieces of the standard east german fare (all made after that label was gone) and all of it was *horribly* made. One was a scraper that had a finger screw that you couldn't actually turn with a finger, especially if you replaced the iron in it to something a little higher on the spring steel scale. Another was a spokeshave where the pattern must've been wrong or something, the adjustment knobs barely touched the iron - it was just on the edge of being completely inoperable. I can't remember what the last thing was, but I don't have any of it now.

It costs as much as decent vintage tools.

Blog Entries
    I was trying not to bash them on quality, but let's just say I was being very sarcastic when I said "IF" they were to make a really good plane...

A few years ago,you could actually buy spokeshaves made in China from Wholesale Tool for $1.25,which were better than those Kunz ones. Even if you might change their blades,you still had a decent casting for $1.25!!!!

At Pleasant's Hardware in Richmond,for some reason,they have several Russian tools in a display window. A wooden plane with baby blue plastic fittings is among them. I have never seen cheaper looking,ghastly bad tools in my life. They were more like toys than real tools,but too big to be toys.

Kunz does not make tools. They make tool shaped objects and that pretty much sums it up.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have a kunz #12 adjustable angle scraper. while not the pinnacle of toolmaking, with a bit of fettling it has turned out to be an adequate worker. I'd have never payed new prices for it, but at IIRC around $20 I don't feel put upon by it.

I have never had one of their premium line planes in my hands. I do hope that they can dredge their product line up from the dismal level at which they have been operating for so long- Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley need some competition.