Thread: My new Bahco Files

My new Bahco Files

I recently received a box of Bahco files. They are double cut extra slims. I am having difficulty threading them into the wooden handle. The Grobet's in the same size work easily but this seems to be much harder steel. I have already bent one file by putting too much pressure on it. Are there any suggestions that could help?

0716141711 (640x360) (120x68).jpg
    Last edited by Glenn Samuels; 07-16-2014 at 7:24 PM.

I seat mine by putting the file into the handle and striking the handle straight down on the bench. They seat well if mated with the correct size handle and I don't bend them that way.
    USMC '97-'01

I have been screwing the end of the file into the handle. If you strike the handle down on a bench, how difficult is it to remove the file?

Is the handle the right size? I haven't had any trouble with the bahcos on the (can't remember the name of the handles, but they are the ones that have the little carbide threaded insert in them).

If you absolutely can't get along, just cut a section of cheap dowel or take a scrap of 4/4 wood and drill a hole in it and set the files in with glue and then plane (or do it before) the corners off so the handles are octagonal.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Samuels View Post
    I have been screwing the end of the file into the handle. If you strike the handle down on a bench, how difficult is it to remove the file?
    It looks like the style in your pic is a Skrooz-On handle, which (as the name suggests) has to be screwed on. The kind Adam is talking about is the more traditional style, which is just a friction fit. Nicholson makes them, and you can get them at the Borg or hardware store, though the prices are likely high and the selection limited. You might do better online, once you figure out what size you need.
    FWIW, I loathe and detest the screw-on type handles. I guess the selling point is that they are easier to remove when the file is shot, but the older style is easier to install and stays tight much better, IMO.

Since you are only ever pushing with the handle, I like just the wooden ones. My local Ace hardware keeps all the sizes of the Nicholson ones in stock, and they work fine for me. My favorite file handles are the Pferd wooden ones for chainsaw files, but the hole is too big for small hand saw files.

I cut a Dogwood one for a chainsaw file in the woods once that lasted for years and worked great. I thought about making some more but never did.

I like screw on handles for shoeing rasps-those are aluminum with set screws, but nothing else. Why fight to get a file in and out of the handle?

I didn't see that they are screw on so I apologize. As the others say I was refering to the old tang style. They come off fairly easily after being seated. I may have to wrap the side of the handle lightly a few times to unseat it, but I've never had one I couldn't get off.

I've never used that type you have though so I can't say. I agree with the others that I'd just make a homeade one and seat it even if it's threaded.
    USMC '97-'01