Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New chainsaw sawbuck.

New chainsaw sawbuck.

Somebody apparently felt they needed my old sawbuck more than I did, because when I went out to use it last week, it was gone. So, I spent some time searching the creek for sawbuck threads, put a few ideas that I found together, added a few twists of my own, and came up with this. It solves the problem of lifting heavy logs onto the sawbuck, and holds them securely.

It's mainly based on Breck Whitworth's stand, Post #12 of this thread: Cutting bowl blanks out of logs

The log lifting solution came from this thread: chainsaw sawbuck update

I made a separate stand for bowl blanks to remove the bark side of the log, based on Breck's stand, but modified the uprights to give better access to the chainsaw, for working on smaller logs. In the photo, because it was a smaller log, I used a spacer so the chainsaw bar wouldn't make contact with the stand. For larger logs, it's not needed.

Here are some shots of the new system in action. The removable "handles" are 8 foot 2x4, I tried 5 footers, but they didn't afford enough leverage for a really big log like this one. Once the stand is in cutting position, the handles can be removed so there is no tripping over them. The blue pieces that hold the handles are only 3" wide, so I had to trim the 2x4's a bit so they would fit, but that also provided a nice stop, to keep them from sliding right on through. They are nickel plated steel, I painted them with primer then blue spray paint.

The log is strapped to the stand for the lifting process with with a ratcheted motorcycle tie-down from Home Depot. I have two of them, one was enough for this log.

I need to attach some out riggers, as the narrowness of the frame does make it tippy on uneven ground. I did cut off the bottoms of the two middle uprights to make it more stable. I had originally made the bevel of the uprights 45 degrees, but found that forced the log together as the saw was going through the bottom of the cut, binding the bar. So I trimmed them back to a more shallow angle with a jig saw, and it works better for me. I used Breck's measurements as a guide, but went with 6 uprights, unevenly spaced, to allow for good support on a wide range of log sizes.

So here is the object of my attention, and oval shaped birch log, 21" long about about as wide.

Here is the stand, tipped on end, with the log securely strapped to it, ready to lift.

A log this heavy, I have to get up on the stand and lean back in order to get things moving. Here I am ready to apply each of my 145 pounds to the task.

For anything heavier than this one, I got a 15 foot towing strap, hook it to some rings installed on the tops of the handles, and can use my legs to walk it back a ways, then pull on the strap hand over hand until I can reach the handles. I haven't had to resort to that yet, but it's available if needed.

I took these pics today, but didn't do any sawing, as my thermometer read 98 degrees in the shade. The "action" shots were done on shutter delay with a tripod. I was caught in the one frame looking at the camera to see if the timer was still blinking - it wasn't.

I have used this a few times now, and while it takes a while to get the log situated, it is so much easier on the back than bending over to work with a big log on the ground, or lifting even a medium sized round log onto a stand.

I hope this offers some inspiration to others who like their work up off the ground, but want to save their backs.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 07-16-2014 at 8:23 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

2. How cool is that?! Nice piece of engineering for a specific purpose.....nice work Dan!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

looks like a plan, nice research and implementation

Very clever! Now all you have to do is figure how to chain it down so it doesn't disappear like the first one.

That looks like an awesome cutting setup. Since immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I'm going to flatter you!
    I couldn't help but chuckle at the last picture.... which looks a bit like a "human slingshot".

This is a great idea!!! I broke my back in three places when I was young and dumb, but now I have to be very careful lifting big wood. I have a number of very big logs that will turn out to be 28" rounds but I've avoided dealing with them because of the weight.

I will copy your design if it is ok with you.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Thanks guys!

Dwight --- I keep them covered with the same tarp that covers the wood, but last year someone stole the tarp!

Steve --- It does bear some resemblance to a trebuchet (catapult). I'd best not relax during the initial stage of lifting, lest it throw me!

Dennis --- Of course it's ok, that's the main reason I posted it. Things to keep in mind: the shorter the stand, the easier the lifting. Mine is about 28" high now, and with the weight of the log out so far, it takes more to lift it. Were it shorter, it would be easier to lift (weight closer to the fulcrum), but would require bending over to saw. With a 28" diameter log, on a 28" stand, the cut will start at 56", which would be pretty high for me to work, but I'm only 5' 8" or so. Working on soft, uneven ground is challenging. I would recommend outriggers for a wider stance, especially for huge rounds. I'm going to make some wedges to use for stability. The good news is that with all of that leverage, it's easy to lift the stand up to place wedges or pieces of scrap in order to stabilize the load.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Very good Dan! I have been thinking about making one, but because of an AICD implant I am now limited to using an electric chain saw. Luckily I tend to turn smaller pieces anyway. One suggestion though - cut your notches back another couple of inches and round the ends of the levers. It will make them easier to insert.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

At times my back would appreciate breaking down blanks at a comfortable height.

I hope you leave it in the same place as the other one.

Would there be a good place to put wheels on this?
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Thanks very much for this idea, Dan. It's great.

12. Dan, that's pretty awesome! If I ever get around to building a sawbuck for logs, I'll be referencing this post. Thanks!
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

I noticed that the safety strap are at the bottom of the log , I would add a second strap farther up the log close to the middle TO KEEP IT FROM TILTING

Thanks for the kind words.

Thom --- That's a good idea.

Hayes --- You rascal! If it disappears, I know where I'll look first.

Pete --- I thought about wheels, as it is pretty heavy to carry around on a regular basis. I guess you could mount them in front (relative to second picture), so that they wouldn't engage until you tip it back. They would be subject to wet dust and debris falling into them when sawing, however. Don't know how that would work out in the long run. I don't really have anywhere else to keep it (to wheel it to), so I didn't bother. You could put the whole thing on a hand truck if you need to move it any distance, and they are handy to have anyway, so that would be another option. The second thread I linked to featured a hand truck as part of the design, but I don't see how it would afford enough leverage to move bigger logs --- maybe he is a lot bigger than me.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Nicely done Dan. The series of photos explains it all quite well! I could have used this a few weeks back for sure, bookmarked for the next round