Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple wine rack

Simple wine rack

It's made from SYP (southern yellow pine). All half lap joints except for the top & bottom brackets that are screwed to the shelf above & below. It's 60''x 30'' & holds 60 bottles....IMG_9349.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-17-2014 at 7:28 PM.

Any project that reaches completion is to be admired.

My current project seems to approach the theoretical limit,
    but never quite reaches there.

Kudos

So do you hang the wire off those bottle thingies?

Just funning' with ya. Looks great - I would like such a thing in my house.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Question...

Wine storage in homes often suspend the bottles in racks like that. Bottles get individual cradles, and lots of air around them. In contrast, wine storage/display in stores almost always uses simple shelves. Shelves are easier and less expensive to build, and are easier to load and unload. So why go with racks?

Well Jamie the people wanted to get the bottles out of the boxes. So the first design which was theirs was to be wide boards on the diagonal making big x's. I did some Shoji doors that had the grid design & so I showed them a practice grid & they liked so I went with that.

Blog Entries
    You know I could fix up and remove the need for those bulky bottles that hold the wire. I'd even remove the bottles so Jay didn't have to. Just sayin...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

That's a long way to come Shawn for a few bottle's of wine..I don't own the wine. I made this for someone else...He might not like you guzzling all the wine.

Couldn't understand why Sam was talking about wires. Now I see....The heading should say Simple wine rack....My screw up.....Sorry....I tried the edit part & it won't let me edit the heading....If someone else wants to do it that has the power feel free.....

It was a good idea to add those extra supports on the bottom. That rack could get awful heavy. Nice work!

Jay, you can edit the title if you go to: Edit Post > Go Advanced.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Well Jamie the people wanted to get the bottles out of the boxes. So the first design which was theirs was to be wide boards on the diagonal making big x's. I did some Shoji doors that had the grid design & so I showed them a practice grid & they liked so I went with that.
    Yeah, "because the owner said so" is a complete answer. But I've wondered about this issue for years. Why is it that homeowners want this style of storage? I'm not a wine guy, but I can't think of a functional reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    That's a long way to come Shawn for a few bottle's of wine..I don't own the wine. I made this for someone else...He might not like you guzzling all the wine.
    Jay, it's a simple mistake to misspell a word in your thread title, but Shawn may not take as kindly to how you characterized his relationship with wine. Surely you meant the "g" to be an "n".

Those pesky fingers don't always communicate with the brain...Finding that is happening more than I like.

Wine stored for any length of time (more than three months) should be horizontal,
    so that the cork stays wet and oxygen can't infiltrate.

Wine that is exposed to air "breathes" and can become "skunked" if stored in a corked bottle, upright.

Wine in polyethylene bags will stay fresh indefinitely, but is not accepted by wine enthusiasts drawn to tradition.
    Screw top caps are a significant improvement over traditional corks, as are the foam corks currently in use.

http://blog.vintagecellars.com/2010/...e-on-its-side/
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...how-its-sealed

For a casual wine drinker, like me, it doesn't matter at all.
    No one bottle will be in my house more than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    ..Wine stored for any length of time (more than three months) should be horizontal,
    so that the cork stays wet and oxygen can't infiltrate...
    Yeah, I understand that part. But horizontality can happen on ordinary shelves, and they are fast to build. It doesn't require those elaborate grid racks.