Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple wine rack

I know it's more work & cost more to do the grids but looks a lot nicer than bottles stacked on top of each other with glass to glass. More chance of them breaking if someone is not careful. Jamie your in the business. If the customer wants something you try to do your best to give them what they want. That's within reason also...Sometimes you just can't please everyone & some have Ideas that are just not doable.

You should offer your services to him again and build shutters for those windows. Needs to keep the light off of wine.

Looks great. Not sure about the shelf vrs racking argument. There is a place for both in the world. I see the old X box as bulk storage. Open a case of the same type of wine, throw it in one section of the grid..Bob's your uncle...big ole pile of wine stored. But what if you had 60 bottles, mix of whites and reds, some dry rose (because white zin is best stored in your fridge!). Throw it on a X shelf, now you have to move every bottle....and if its fine wine move is code world for disturb more than necessary....yes you may have to move every bottle to get the one on the bottom. Not great. In a racking system each precious gem gets its own cubby. You want that perfectly aged cabernet....take it, temper it, decant it...enjoy! All without disturbing or moving every other bottle around it. Or if you buy wine at auction but the case, the X box might be a great place to store the whole case while it ages to perfection,,,then as you drink it, buy more, perhaps the last 3-4 get moved to racking to make room for new arrivals. So there is a very logical argument for both types of storage in a wine cellar. Or it could just be strictly aesthetics which is too subjective to consider. I rarely buy a case of anything and generally have about 20-40 bottles in a simple racking system, I prefer just what Jay has made.

Thanks Peter. The owner did start out with wanting the big x's for storage but showed him the grid I made for some Shoji doors I made & he liked that better. Why move a bunch of bottles to get at one....They can also see what it is through the grid....