Thread: EngraveLab 9 design questtion

EngraveLab 9 design questtion

Greetings all, I am very new to the engraving business and wanted to ask for some advice.
    I'm working in Engravelab9 and need to design a shape that looks like an hourglass. Any suggestions? Initially I thought that I could make a rectangle then collapse it, but apparently I was wrong. Next theory was to make a triangle the chop off the tip and mirrior it. I just wanted to see if there was an easier way. Thanks for any help I can get.

Josh

Welcome to SMC. I have Engravlab but usually do my drawings in Corel where I'm considerably more proficient. If no one else offers a solution I'll attempt to accommodate you later in the day after I complete a couple of customer items.

I would begin by welding 2 spheres together then manipulating them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I could bring up Casmate again, but I digress...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I do truly appreciate the help guys. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of woodworking in general, but never on this scale. As this is a company project, and a fresh one at that, we really don't have the capital for much in the way of software.

Josh

Sorry I couldn't get back to you. A quick check of my clipart file in Engravlab turned up an hourglass. Check to see if you have a clipart file and look under "objects". You'll find clipart under the "layout " menu.

hourglass.pdf

the pdf isn't opening for me---let me know if you can open it
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-17-2014 at 5:35 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi, I don't want to start a heated discussion over Engravelab v Corel but i have been using Engravelab for years for all my Rotary and Router
    engraving and i totally believe once you get the hang of Engravelab and it's editing tools it will thrash Corel for ease of use. IMHO
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Vic

I agree that Engravlab is great for text, even superior to Corel, but it doesn't begin to match Corel for all around graphics capability.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Vic

I agree that Engravlab is great for text, even superior to Corel, but it doesn't begin to match Corel for all around graphics capability.

I do agree with you there, looking through the Corel book it is indeed a powerful graphics tool.
    Most of my engraving is commercial so I am mainly looking
    at it from a rotary engraving point of view that redrawing and editing uses so few nodes and editing tools yet
    is still quick and accurate, Lasering on the other hand has a lot more fine detail that actually shows up on the
    engraved item that Corel's accuracy is useful.
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

CASmate wins over Corel every day.
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw