Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you Creekers are musicians?

14 years in a bluegrass band. Guitar, mandolin, harmonica. Still pickin' around the campfire & not on stage anymore.

Do you musician/woodworkers find yourself especially craving a SawStop, for rather obvious reasons? [/QUOTE]

Yes.....Prob the next major tool purchase on the list...

I play in a bluegrass band with 2 older brothers, and a friend. Usually about a gig a month. Started mandolin about 10 years ago, I'm 23 now and still play the mando as my main instrument but also play banjo, guitar, upright bass, and dobro. mostly bluegrass/southern gospel stuff but some western,celtic, and other misc thrown in occasionally
    Here's a shabby video of us... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mhZHsc8T-w
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Bass player here, blues musician playing semi-professionally. Began when I was 14.

Another bass player and guitarist. Have always been a DIYer and wanted better instruments than I could afford. So I started building. Have 2 basses, neck thru, and 2 guitars done. Now building 2 guitars and a hollowbody bass.

I don't remember a time I wasn't playing an instrument.

Same reason I started,Jim!!

Woodworker. I had an interest in building a mandolin. I thought, "How will I know if it sounds good?". So I purchased one and started learning how to play it. My brother plays several instruments and has been very supportive. I joined this forum specifically for the musical instruments forum. Good information so far. I also peruse Mandolin Cafe. Good info there too.

BJ

Lifelong musician here. Drums are my primary instrument and I played professionally for many years. I have also been learning to play a little 5-string banjo in recent years. I'm not sure I want to tackle drum building any time soon. I have much respect for those guys and I think it would be an exercise in frustration for me. lol. Ironically, I may be helping my brother with a guitar build in the near future. I have much of the woodworking know-how, but I have no guitar playing ability to speak of.

I play string bass and electric bass. Make my living building and restoring basses and cellos.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 09-10-2014 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Link to commercial site...against the TOS.

I am a musician (bass) and got into woodworking to support my interest in quality instruments. I built the bass cabinets that I perform with and build the basses that I want to play.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    I play string bass and electric bass. Make my living building and restoring basses and cellos.
    I visited your website. Beautiful work!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 09-10-2014 at 6:14 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Musician for 52 years, builder of mandolins and banjos for 46, repairperson (neck resets, broken peghead splices, bridge replacements, new tops, etc.) off and on for most of that time. I found that I couldn't separate my interest in playing from how the thing I played was made, and why some sounded better than others. I play the acoustic guitar (primarily flatpick lead), five string banjo (bluegrass and clawhammer), mandolin, fiddle, and pedal steel guitar, for a living beginning in 1974 and ending in 1985, then back to science where my education was. My science background has been very helpful in building instruments primarily by separating the myth from the evidence on tone, tonewood, tradition, gold plating, and every other subtopic that comes up in lutherie. Now retired from academia, back to more and I hope better playing and more building. Also looking forward to regular participation in Sawmill Creek. When I figure out the rules and the procedures I'll post some material I wrote years back and posted on the very early internet on pearl inlay and on preparing bone for lutherie use

Sean Barry

Fingerstyle "classical" guitar, flatpick bluegrass, and five string banjo. My three kids picked it up from me and, as a family band, we played gigs and bluegrass festivals all over this area from Pensacola to Tallahassee to Perry FL, and from Panama City FL to Dothan and Abbeville AL. Those were fun times. Now I mostly pick in the living room but would like to get back into it when I get time. My youngest son is a multi instrumentalist in high demand, playing with several bands at times and on whatever instrument is needed; he can play them all. This is his main group right now....(my boy is holding the guitar)

http://www.amandacookbluegrass.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQYAzmUtq3M
    Last edited by Wayne Webb; 10-21-2014 at 11:40 PM.
    Wayne Webb
    Webb Signworks
    Chipley, FL

Aspire 9.5
    Sign Wizard 6.0
    CorelDraw 2018 Suite
    DevFoam Pro
    Mach3
    Shopbot Router 4x8
    Ioline 24'' Plotter
    Mimaki 51'' Plotter
    Home-Built 10x7x4 CNC Hotwire Cutter
    Various Metalworking and Woodworking Machines

Trumpet player here--intermediate level. I play gigs with my wife on flute and we are both in a symphonic band of 130. I'm also in a brass ensemble. We play concerts with the band and gig at churches and retirement homes. We also are learning ukes. The only instrument I've made is a tongue drum which my daughter ( a teacher) really had to have. I'm planning on making another one. No desire to make ukulele or guitar though since we already have some.

I didn't play for over 50 years. My music comeback took me away from woodworking for 5 years or so though. I do know a cellist who lost some fingers from his left hand on the table saw. He's a Julliard graduate, really sad.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

15. I like to play guitar and violin my free hours, and a member of carol team. When I search for custom essay writing service I find this particular forum. I think this is the right place to clear all yours instrumental problems. Enjoying!