Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many of you Creekers are musicians?

1. Acoustic guitar guy, dabbling in banjo and other fretted instruments. Once I started to learn the fiddle, but only progressed enough to make the cat scream. I've threatened on occasion to take up the accordion, but my friends have always talked me out of it.

I'm a (hand raised) former amateur/hack bassist. I started my formal intro to music on lower brass (trombone, baritone, tuba) in junior and senior high, then graduated to electric bass after finding that I'd come onto the music scene for small brass ensembles a little too late in the late '70s early '80s. I noodled around mostly as a fill-in player and abandoned my starry eyed dreams of getting into a real band in favor of finishing school, settling down, raising a family and getting a more traditional 9-to-5 career. But I got back into it briefly in the early '00s, doing a couple of musicals with a local community theatre and then doing a few county fairs and community gatherings (the Taste-of-Tacoma - ha ha) supporting a budding vocalist/friend who was giving her musical career a go through the local Country scene.

My wife (2nd marriage) was and is now again a concert violist, having played with the CSO earlier in her career. In the 10+ years we've been together, I've learned a bit about bow making and have visited one such shop in the Portland area. But I've no desire (yet) to want to even attempt constructing bows, or stringed instruments of any kind. Well, come to think of it at one point I did help my step son build a cigar box guitar for a school project, but that's kind of a far cry from any claim to being a Luthier .
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-29-2014 at 5:02 PM.

Been taking lessons now for 4.5 years or so. My teacher says I'm getting better. I've only played out twice and each time I played only one song. I played White Rabbit from Jefferson Airplane at my first recital and I played Just What I Needed by the Cars at a my in-laws bar. The band is really good and have some of their friends pop up for a song or two. My first love though is drums. Finally got a new Ludwig Classic Maple 4 pc back in September. A couple new Sabian cymbals too.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges