Thread: Natural Edge - Maple Pedestal Bowl

Natural Edge - Maple Pedestal Bowl

I have been trying to figure out what to do with this particular piece of wood for about 18 months.......several times I picked it up and could not decide what I wanted to do. This particular piece of maple came from a larger blank that cracked and I cut it down basically into a cube shape but left the undulating natural bark edge on it, so I had thought a few times about making a natural edge something or another from it.

Yesterday, I just finally decided to see if I could not get it to a point I could put a tenon on it...........[I was glad by the way that I had the chuck plate I got from Jerry Marcantel in Arizona.......it came in really handy!]

I had one of those design opportunities on this one.........I had to change the original design of the pedestal because when I went to reverse and turn the bottom off, a couple of cuts revealed a bark inclusion and part of the base broke off..........that mandated turning the bottom feature away to a smooth curve up to the base of the bowl and bead underneath. Sometimes one never knows what the wood will reveal, and make you change your design a little! The pic does not show it, but it has a good bit of curl in the grain as well as the spalting.

This is 6-5/8" wide and you can see one side is higher than the other, and it is about 5.5" tall. This went through about 5 sanding sequences total, with shellac sealer added after the first two sequences......then sanded back, a coat of WOP added, sanded back after drying and then another coat of WOP........a total sequence from 120 - 400 grit, then another coat of shellac and the final coats of WOP.......... This thing was sanded slick as a billiard ball! Getting some items ready for placement in galleries.

I have been under the weather for the last two weeks, so my turning time has been limited, so it was nice to get back in the studio er, uh.........shop! Comments always welcome!

DSC_0483.JPG

In case anyone might be interested.........my new website is now up. I will edit my profile so that folks can click on my avatar and link to the site.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-17-2014 at 2:46 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Chirp.........chirp...........chirp............... .crickets! This has been posted for two days. 370 views and not one comment!

Just struck me as unusual!

Very nice piece, Roger. It looks like the foot is incorporated into the bowl - not a separate piece. Your photo is a little off and doesn't do it justice. There is a double shadow and it seems out of focus.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Very nice piece, Roger. It looks like the foot is incorporated into the bowl - not a separate piece. Your photo is a little off and doesn't do it justice. There is a double shadow and it seems out of focus.
    Yep, Rich.........this was not my best photographic effort.......sorry! But thanks for making this thread have at least one comment not from me!

Delightful result Roger, hope you receive many more comments
    from Australian members in due course.

Alan
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Arnup View Post
    Delightful result Roger, hope you receive many more comments
    from Australian members in due course.

Alan

Thanks Alan.........appreciate your comments, and wish you g'day!

Roger, I have done several 'pedestal bowls' or 'compotes' and appreciate the form. My first was to fix a problem - I almost cut through the center when finishing the bottom, so I epoxied a pedestal inside the ring I had formed for a foot. Good save and a nice piece as always.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Roger, I have done several 'pedestal bowls' or 'compotes' and appreciate the form. My first was to fix a problem - I almost cut through the center when finishing the bottom, so I epoxied a pedestal inside the ring I had formed for a foot. Good save and a nice piece as always.
    Thanks for replying Thom........appreciate your comments! I wish the wood had been nice and solid, because the original step feature on the base added to the form I thought, but one must take what one is given as they say!

That's an outstanding product from your excellent wood turning skills. Nice edge.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    That's an outstanding product from your excellent wood turning skills. Nice edge.
    Nice of you to say that Gus.............many thanks!!!

I am just starting my voyage into the world of Turning. I think your piece is very nice and unique. I've been looking at a lot of Turnings and it is amazing the beauty of wood done with a Lathe. I have not even turned a toothpick yet (well I did turn 2 bowls in High School shop).

I have been rearranging my small shop for the last week to accommodate my Yard Sale find Lathe. I can't wait to see what I can design once I get going.

Nice piece Roger! Once again you challenge me to try something new. I just finished turning my first natural edge bowl and it is currently drying before the final touches.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gan View Post
    I am just starting my voyage into the world of Turning. I think your piece is very nice and unique. I've been looking at a lot of Turnings and it is amazing the beauty of wood done with a Lathe. I have not even turned a toothpick yet (well I did turn 2 bowls in High School shop).

I have been rearranging my small shop for the last week to accommodate my Yard Sale find Lathe. I can't wait to see what I can design once I get going.
    Get ready for the ride we call the "VORTEX" Alan........it is both frustrating and exhilarating at the same time! There is a learning curve, and you can save yourself months, maybe years of frustration by getting into a turning club and get some mentoring from folks who have mastered tool presentation and techniques of turning. You will never regret it!

Good luck, and go get 'em!

That's some nice work, Roger. Hope you're feeling better.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary