Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are You Vacationing this Year?

Blog Entries
    Just got back from two weeks in our RV, stayed at the Platte River campground in the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore near Traverse City MI. Packed up right now waiting to leave for a weekend at the Silver Lake State Park and take the Jeep on the Dunes on the western shore of lake Michigan.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    When it is 110 degrees out, you appreciate that temp in the San Marcos - DAMHIKT. When I was single it was a great place to meet the girls at SWTSU.

As the temp rises, the enjoyment of the San Marcos does, too. I wish I had known about tubing the San Marcos and the Guadalupe when I was younger. I would have really liked it, I think.

SWTSU is now just TSU. I've lived in Texas most of my adult life and was surprised at the size of TSU- 40,000 plus students; larger than Texas Tech.

Today marks 6 years, 4 months without a vacation. I'm so broke I can't afford to get out of sight. I usually run out of money before I get to the end of the driveway! Being self employed ain't what it used to be!

Blog Entries
    I was going to the Lie-Nielsen open house, but last minute had to cancel the trip. We agreed that next year we will better plan and go for a week.

If any of you want sand and sun, I would like to suggest our lovely islands in the US Virgin Islands. No passport needed, and you can have the best beaches in the Caribbean on St. John, and shop til you drop on St. Thomas. Dive the wall on St. Croix. Just 2.5 hours flying time from Miami. Sail, surf, dive- you name it. Shameless plug here. I am not getting paid for this- just a loyal citizen. We depend heavily on tourism for our economy. :-)

I'll be vacationing in Glenmoore Pa. this summer.

They have a beautiful State Park with a clear lake for kayaking or fishing.
    Rolling hills and lustrous fields of hay and corn. Pastures where cows and horses spend lazy summer days eating grass under a big sky.
    Winding country roads lined with old trees and stone walls.

I may stay longer than just the summer.

We used to go to Maine every summer (New Harbor), but haven't been since we moved to Texas. This year we are driving up to NY, picking up our daughter, and spending a week at Lake George and a week in Maine. It's more than we can afford, but she's getting married next June, so this is probably the last family vacation with just the three of us.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

Driving vacation again this year. (Last year was Kure Beach NC - "curry" beach) This year, we need to visit the 'rents in central Florida for a few days as travel is difficult for them, but we're going down via Asheville NC when we travel so we can visit Biltmore, see a friend in the Atlanta area, visit the 'rents and then on the way home we're going to spend a day in Charleston SC since neither Professor Dr. SWMBO nor I have been there before. We just have to survive doing all those days on the road with two crazy teenage girls along for the ride... (One of them is actually diagnosed as crazy and the other is a normal 15 going on 20 crazy)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spain, Madrid, Toledo, Seville, and Granada.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    We celebrated our son-in-law being sworn in as an American Citizen.

First stop was in California where the Chief Judge of the 9th Circuit Court had us to his house and did the swearing in on the 4th of July. I can tell you that that experience was far more meaningful than a fireworks display.

Then it was off to Seattle for a 7 day Alaskan Cruise. The aforementioned son-in-law totally bonded with the shipboard food. He adopted the Hobbit system of eating: Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevenses, Luncheon, Afternoon Tea, Dinner, Supper.

After the cruise, the kids went home and the bride and I spent another 4 days up in the San Juan Islands. Talk about an island paradise...

I am on vacation this weekend. Starting the day off with Maxwell House Gourmet roast, 3 over easy eggs for breakfast, then a leisurely stripping of the MIL's drop leaf table, casual mowing of the yard, some grocery shopping, and by the end I hope to start sorting plane frogs. It just don't get any better than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

We took our 13 yo adopted daughter on a birthland tour of China the first two weeks of June. The main purpose was for her to visit her orphanage in Nanping and spend some time seeing her birth culture. It was a great trip for her and us, we visited 8 cities in China during the 14 days tour. Visited the normal tourist sites, the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, Olympic Birdsnest Stadium, Terra Cotta Army in Xian, National Panda Research Center in Chengdu, river boat cruise on the Liang River near Guilin. We enjoyed the trip greatly, but must admit it was wonderful to come home. There's no place like USA for this hillbilly!

Today marks 6 years, 4 months without a vacation.
    We're in the same boat.
    Our last vacation was in October of 2004. We went to Tunica for a week with my wife's parents.
    We had a great time!
    Since then, we've spent every vacation working on one or more of the rentals.

We had a trip to Florida planned for the beginning of August to celebrate my uncle Bob's 100th birthday - but - our little peanut dog developed lymphoma.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Later in August we'll make a trip out to western NY (Rochester area) to visit my elderly parents for a few days.
    Hey Dave, check this place out when you go there. http://toolthriftshop.org/index.php
    I have been wanting to check it out but I just have not had the time to make that hour trip.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Thank You Mike. My parents live in Fairport and the village landing is about a 5 minute drive from their house. I grew up in Penfield, the next town over.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

We're heading to Yosemite in September for a walking/hiking trip with a tour company called Backroads. Phenomenal organization that treats us like royalty! We did a trip with them last year and loved it so much we are using them again this year.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!