Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LV Small Router Plane Depth Stop

LV Small Router Plane Depth Stop

Not wanting to hi-jack the “Router Plane” thread, I wanted to add this as a plug for the LV Router and to also ask the question shown below concerning the small LV router.

Recently, I made 18 3/4” wide by 1/4” deep (4”average length) dados in pine and thoroughly enjoyed using my LV router to make all a uniform depth. Doing these one at a time, the LV depth stop came in very handy. I have not used my Stanley # 71 since getting the LV - probably because of it’s less than desirable depth stop.

The procedure was to first make a knife line, then a v groove to locate the saw, then saw down to the 1/4” depth - on both sides of the 3/4” wide dado. the waste was then removed with the LV Router. I was surprised by the accuracy in using this method.

During this enjoyable time, my table saw and electric router sat idle. The job could have been done much faster with either of those - but not as much fun and not as safe.

Small LV Router Question:

The small LV router is also a very nice tool but lacks a depth stop. One could be made using a split collar clamped around the cutter shank but I am looking for one that also is guided in some fashion to keep the blade facing the same direction as it is raised and lowered.

I have several ideas how to accomplish this but would appreciate your input so as not to reinvent the wheel.

Don

You can check Derek Cohen article.
    http://www.homemadetools.net/router-plane-depth-stop

I personally mark the depth with marker on the blade shaft. If the marking reaches the collet it is deep enough.

Hi Don

Rob Lee has mentioned before that all owners of the Small Router plane will be sent a depth stop for the small router plane. I suspect that this has yet to take place as no one has mentioned receiving one. I have a pre-production version, and this is nicer than the one I made (in John's link, above).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Are you employing the small router to "hog out" all the waste?

I typically use a chisel, bevel down, to get close.
    The router is set to take off 1/64" or so, only at the end.

It's a wee tool, and should take off only a little material at a pass.

Blog Entries
    I don't have the LV router plane, but I do have the LN small router plane.

I don't understand the need for the depth stop. I suppose I could fashion one. I was just made aware that LN has one.

Small router planes are good for leveling the bottom of hand chopped mortises.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-18-2014 at 8:40 PM.

Lowell, the depth stop is essential for precise, repeatable work. For example, with hinge mortices (I assume that these were to which you were referring - the other type do not need levelled floors).

Regards from Perth

Derek

John,
    Thanks for Derek’s article link to his version of the small LV router depth stop.
    This is very similar to my thinking except I want to add the feature of keeping the blade pointing in the same direction as you move it up and down.
    While this may not be necessary in all cases, it seems like a good feature to add when making an adjustable stop.
    Derek’s version is excellent, however, and he presented it well before I had the LV small router and realized the advantage of having a depth stop.

Derek,
    Wow that’s great news. I’ll have to wait until Rob comes thru with the LV version before I proceed with my version.
    Any idea when that might happen?
    You are absolutely correct about the usefulness of the depth stop. After cutting 18 dados, one at a time, resetting the same final depth might have become a nightmare otherwise,

Jim,
    I was doing the same as you - just removing a small amount (about 1/32”) each time. Having the router depth stop set to 1/4” was a great timesaver. No hogging.

Lowell,
    The depth stop is a time-saver and insures that the final depth of your dados is the same - if thats what you want.
    Derek is correct in his reply.

Don

I want to add the feature of keeping the blade pointing in the same direction as you move it up and down.
    While this may not be necessary in all cases, it seems like a good feature to add when making an adjustable stop

Don, have a look here:
    http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/ModifyingTheLVSmallRouterPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

You are way ahead of me. I like both ideas - grinding a square or v on the small router blade stem to keep it aligned and your sharpening method. I intend to try both. Along with an adjustable split collar, the ground square or v sounds perfect. I should be able to make the necessary parts with the shop equipment I already have.

Thanks,

Don

Blog Entries
    Hand chopped mortises do not require leveled floors, but it sure helps clean up a mortise of debris and gives me a chance to admire my work.

I don't do a lot of hinges (I have), but the next time I build a Shaker candle box, I will remember the small router.

I suppose if you are doing inlays, it would be helpful.

In my case, having all dado floors the same depth was very important and that is where the depth stop on the LV router really shined. Being easy to set a depth and then the repeatability from the depth stop allowed this without much fuss. Understanding that is my reason for a depth stop on the small router. It would be a huge improvement. Many times it is not necessary, however. YMMV.

Don

Blog Entries
    OK, I'm convinced.

I will order the $20 depth stop for my LN small router plane.

I was not aware of the accessory until this string.

I wish one would be available for the LV small router. I understand one is on the way from LV but do not know when. I'll be waiting.

Hi,

I believe the small router plane depth stop will be available in a few weeks ( August supplement) . I think it's on the page near the medium router plane, but I could be wrong.....

The stop will be free with an order, or to pick up in the store for those that already have the plane.

Cheers,

Rob

Your'e such a tease, Rob ... hee hee ..

Regards from Perth

Derek