Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LV Small Router Plane Depth Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Your'e such a tease, Rob ... hee hee ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Indeed he is! These things were lined up all over the factory when I was there last week. I didn't get to play with one but they looked pretty appealing to me. I was going to get a small to complement the large I've had for years, but then I saw these and decided to hold off. Pretty sure I'll be ordering one.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi,

The stop will be free with an order, or to pick up in the store for those that already have the plane.

Cheers,

Rob

I didn't miss this!

No, Lowell, you did not miss that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great news from Rob. I may just put off making my version until then. It will probably take until August to travel north from NC to pick up one - Ha Ha - I hope they will be able to send me one as soon as it is available.
    Lowell, when you get the depth stops for both the LV and LN small routers, I hope you will give us your opinion of each.

Blog Entries
    I only have the LN small router plane. I've had it for a number of years. I like it, and have all of the blades for it.

I have an old Stanley large router plane along with LV irons for it.

I probably will not buy the depth stop for the small plane unless I need it.

I have an abundance of both LN and LV tools. I find the service is good from both companies.

I absolutely love the LV spoke shaves. I think I have them all. The Cast Steel shave they came out with last year is absolutely spectacular.

I'm waiting now for their cranked neck chisels to arrive. It will be interesting to see how they will sharpen.

Doubt I'll need it since I have the large and small but look forward to seeing the medium. Oh, and good news about the stop.

Hi Lowell,

We haven't even shown our cranked neck chisels.....unless you mean the Narex, of course....

Cheers,

Rob
    ( officially declaring the start of "tease season" )

Blog Entries
    They will be the Narex. I have two of your Narex pig stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    They will be the Narex. I have two of your Narex pig stickers.
    I have the Narex too, and really like 'em...

Cheers,

Rob

Way back when this thread was still active, I began working on my version of a depth stop for the LV small router. It was put aside due to other projects while I contemplated adding Derek’s square corner area to the stem of the cutter.

His terrific idea holds the cutter in a straight forward position as the cutter is moved up or down and really makes the total modification a great addition to the LV small router.

Not being that skilled at hand grinding, my hesitation was mostly due to the grinding problem.
    At this time I do have ideas for a grinding fixture but they were put aside while I was making a shaving horse and starting on a workbench. Today, I decided to not wait, and, at least finish the stop. The picture shows my stop.

Sorry, Could not get even one picture to post. Will try again tomorrow.

Actually, I has several photos showing different views but could not get along well enough with iPhoto to add them to this post.

Basically, the stop is a rectangular piece with a hole for the cutter post and a tapped hole perpendicular to that for the thumb screw. The piece is slotted from the thumb screw end to the cutter post so that tightening the thumb screw squeezes the hole and clamps the stop to the post. Eventually, I will mill a slight flat on the router casting where the stop meets it - not necessary but will make me feel better.

Derek’s stop is definitely nicer and smaller but I was looking for a way to guide the stop as it traveled up and down and thereby keep the cutter in the same position. When I saw Derek’s cutter post mod. I realized it was an excellent solution to that problem. Although I have not yet tried his mod, I believe it will work with the same round stop hole as long as some of the original radius is left on the post after grinding - assuming that small radius is not clamped in the stop’s slot. Actually, Derek’s stop together with his post mod. would be better since it is smaller and does not have the clamp slot to fall into.

I have yet to see or hear any more about LV’s small router stop but am patiently waiting.

Don
    Last edited by Don Rogers; 08-10-2014 at 9:07 AM.

Sorry, but I cannot find a way to post pictures. Can someone help?
    Don

Sorry to be a pest about this but I need help in posting pictures.

Can anyone please point me to the forum area that explains this?

Guess I am computer challenged and unable to find these directions on my own.

Thank you,
    Don

Don -- For now, click on the "Reply to Thread" button lower left of the last window in the thread. You.'ll get the reply window as well as a series of icons directly at the top of the window. Click on the third icon from the extreme right. You'll be prompted to "Insert Image." Select "From Computer" assuming that you have the photo on your computer. Then click on "Choose File" and locate the file on your computer. Click on that image and you should see it appear in a tiny window. Then click on "Upload" and you should then see a code that indicates it is ready to go.

image.jpg

I did his from my iPad and it seemed to work fine. There are other ways of accomplishing uploads too. Click on go to advanced is another way. Hope this helps.

Charles,

Thank you for your detailed posting on uploading pictures. I really appreciate it.
    There must be a problem with my computer - it refuses to load a photo from iPhoto or my desktop. I have tried everything I could think of to no avail.
    I was able to load pictures on my iPad using your directions. However, I have vision problems and would rather work on my large screen desktop.
    Thanks again - I will have to work this out later.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi,

I believe the small router plane depth stop will be available in a few weeks ( August supplement) . I think it's on the page near the medium router plane, but I could be wrong.....

The stop will be free with an order, or to pick up in the store for those that already have the plane.

Cheers,

Rob
    Dang. Should have waited to order that plane blade that came in last week. Now I'll have to find something else to buy.
    Michael Ray Smith