Thread: Nova Inifinity Chuck Upgrade

Nova Inifinity Chuck Upgrade

Looks like Nova is re-introducing their Infinity chuck, apparently having done some re-design after the recall earlier this year. Shipping starts July 20. http://www.novainfinitychuck.com/buy-1.html

I've got a SuperNova 2 chuck and would be interested in upgrading to the Infinity quick-change system, but not sure it's worth the money -- $135 for the chuck upgrade kit and then $45 for the jaw retrofit kit for each set of jaws, so I'd be looking at $225 to get upgraded on the 2 sets of jaws I currently have.

I like my current chuck just fine but do get frustrated when needing to change jaws (the screws always end up being nearly impossible to get loose).

But is the Infinity upgrade on a SuperNova 2 a better path than one of the other quick-change chuck systems out there (like the EasyChuck)?
    Or do I just buy a second SuperNova 2 for $170 (via Amazon) and avoid changing jaws at all?

For me, owning 6 Novas is much more convenient. Most of mine are reconditioned at much less cost.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Most of mine are reconditioned at much less cost.
    I looked at reconditioned chucks on the Nova Tools USA website, $180 for a SuperNova 2. But they're $170 on Amazon for brand new... Maybe I better grab one of those before they're gone...

Apparently, they have gone up!! I think I paid around $120.

I panicked and grabbed the last one just now on Amazon at the $170 price - there were 2 available earlier so I'm betting someone else read this thread and bought one of them! Best price now on Amazon is $190 plus shipping, via Woodcraft.

So I guess I answered my own question... May still consider the Inifinity upgrade at some point in the future, but this will alleviate my pain for now (at least until LOML sees the box on the porch...)

I guess I am a chuckahlolic. I have seven Nova's (last purchase put all seven at $675 all with different jaws) collected over 4-5 years, five of which were new.

The best buy now that I know of is Tools Plus. They do not include the insert but the full chuck is $149 or just the chuck body for $119. I would go with just the chuck body since you already have the 50mm jaws, woodworm, and chuck key.

http://tools-plus.com/nova-chucks.html

If you need them they also have the screws for $5. http://tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-ssk.html
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks, Michael - that's a way better deal than I found on Amazon. Guess I'll cancel that order and go with Tools Plus!

Marty, much of this decision is based on the type of turning you do. Most of my work involves multiple components and I often leave each component in the chuck until I am finished with all components - just in case something needs tweaked. I have three of the chucks with 50mm jaws on them, one with 20mm, one with mini step jaws, and another with soft jaws. I also have a couple of other sets of jaws I rarely use, but if needed I can switch those out on one of the chucks.

It isn't unusual for me to have three of them in use at one time, and then use the one with soft jaws for another operation. This morning, I did a set of threads in Corian, and had the male and female components in separate chucks until they were done, as attempting to re-chuck them in proper alignment would not have been possible. Close, but close doesn't work with that type of work.

Just suggesting that you consider the type of work you might do in making this decision.

Marty, you must have posted that you bought from Amazon about the time I started pecking on the keyboard and looking up tools plus.

John, that is a very good point. I am almost the opposite; of my chucks I do not even have a set of the 50mm bowl jaws mounted.
    The 45mm Spigot jaws are only 1mm different from the 50mm bowl jaws. I keep the spigot jaws mounted for a better hold on smaller hollow type items using a long tenon and they hold a short tenon as well as the bowl jaws. If anyone is unaware; Nova's spigot jaws are sized by the interior, their bowl jaws are sized by the exterior. Even though almost identical diameters the spigot jaws are much deeper and serrated.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

For now, I'm just going to get the bare chuck with no jaws - that'll let me put my 50mm jaws on one and my 100mm jaws on the other and will at least save me 5 or 10 minutes when I want to use the "other" set of jaws...

I'm going from a 1-chuck shop to a 2-chuck shop so I'm sure more opportunities to expand my collection will start to present themselves as I get used to the convenience of having more than one!

Having seen the prototype they showed in Tampa, I watched the recent video they posted with a turner explaining why he finds the new chuck 'addictive'. My take-away was the comment that Nova will be introducing a large variety of new jaws. The ones they had in Tampa were considerably beefier than any I had seen from them previously except my 3" bowl jaws.

I once heard that the difference between an English turner and an American turner was that a Brit would have one chuck and change jaws while an American would have a chuck for each set of jaws. I guess Nova wants to sell more jaws (better mark-up?) than chucks. The upgrade kits ain't cheap neither.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).