Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wood preferences

Pictures of the oak cabs would help....as others have mentioned, the condition and quality of the cabinets is a bigger concern than species/finish when it comes to resale. If your Borg cabs are from the 90's, they're probably tired looking even if well built. My first choice in your situation would be to reface with a species of your choice, with new doors. Painting the oak would be my last choice....even with grain filler (a huge PITA), the unevenness of the open oak grain will telegraph through. Just my opinion.....looks cheap-o to me.

Here's a remodel we did for a customer that wanted to replace the 90's oak with white painted. We refaced with maple and I made the new doors/drawer fronts in my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scott vroom; 07-22-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added pics
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Pictures of the oak cabs would help....as others have mentioned, the condition and quality of the cabinets is a bigger concern than species/finish when it comes to resale. If your Borg cabs are from the 90's, they're probably tired looking even if well built. My first choice in your situation would be to reface with a species of your choice, with new doors. Painting the oak would be my last choice....even with grain filler (a huge PITA), the unevenness of the open oak grain will telegraph through. Just my opinion.....looks cheap-o to me.

Here's a remodel we did for a customer that wanted to replace the 90's oak with white painted. We refaced with maple and I made the new doors/drawer fronts in my shop.
    I really like the look of white kitchen cabinets like that. And a nice counter top to go along with it. It looks really good Scott.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Oak, love it or hate it. I built my house in the '70s and went with dark stained trim and doors with dark oak Formica cabinets. Redid them 20 years later with oak trimmed white from the Borg. At the same time I redid all trim and doors with golden oak. Just redid the cabs with hickory.