Thread: A $5 saw for the shop

Cool A $5 saw for the shop

Picked this up todayIMAG0146.jpg Barn Sale find, seemed to have been a Home for Wayward Spiders. Saw IS still sharp. Back rollers are a bit sticky, will need to clean them up. Saw is a 22" Kromedge Satin Cut. Saw bolts used a square drive screwdriver . Everything seems to work, just a clean up is maybe needed. Swivel work smoothly, too. Might be worth the fiver I spentIMAG0145.jpgSpent more for that Dunlap/Sargent plane than the saw....

Had one loose bolt under the bed. Nothing bent, or broken, all parts seeem to be there. Saw is straight, no bends. It was either this, or a $75 RAS.....

Not bad. Not bad at all.

A few more views with a steadier hand on the camera-ooskayaIMAG0154.jpg had to find a spot big enough to set it down onIMAG0155.jpgnot too badIMAG0156.jpgturntable works pretty good,tooIMAG0157.jpgdown at the bottom of that rod, there is a pointer of sorts, not sure what it is for...

Individual degrees. You should grow roses. There must be a ton of rust in your ground!!

and.all clean and shinyIMAG0147.jpgthe saw part. Medallion just says "CRAFTSMAN"IMAG0148.jpgthe base unit. Had to evict a few spiders, and destroy the nestsIMAG0151.jpgand all back together. I guessing I need a few rubber "O" rings on the white rollers? Everything seems to work as intended. Just a $5 saw....

I must say,that saw and the miter box look better than I thought they would!! Roses like iron. Gardeners will put nails in the ground where they grow.

Set it up for a test driveIMAG0148.jpgI spent more on the square than the saw. It is a nice day outside on the back patio, so a few boards were molested, AFTER I remembered to "lube" the saw bladeIMAG0149.jpgWhere else but on a saw bench? Wood is some oak I am trying to mill down Needed a bit trimmed off the endIMAG0150.jpgSeems to work..ok. Tried a wider boardIMAG0151.jpgHad to move the clamp a bit. results were a glass like finish, except for the last little bit at the bottom. A few Hairs ain't that bad.. For a $5 saw...

Lay the good board over a sacrificial piece underneath to avoid tearing as the saw emerges under the board you're sawing.

Thanks, George, for the tip. I've got the same miter box and saw. The O rings degrade with time. I don't use it much, but it works fine. Bought it new, much more than a $5.00 bill many years ago.

Would you happen to remember the sizes of those "O" rings? Only have a couple left on the saw. I might be able to get a few at Autozone next weekend....Doubt if Sears still sells them, and don't want to pay THEIR shipping price...

Nowhere near as nice, but I arrange Popsicle sticks across the bottom of my miter box (I have to snap them off to make them fit snugly) --- before a cut I swap them around until a clean/uncut one is beneath the cut --- once they're all cut up I replace them.