Thread: Kitchen Pantry microwave broom closet

Blog Entries

Kitchen Pantry microwave broom closet

In my daughters new house, there is not enough counter space for food preparation and to have a microwave so my daughter and my wife came up with a combination cabinet idea that would give her additional pantry space, a place for the microwave and a broom closet. It started out looking like this based on a cabinet they found on the internet.photo 1.jpg

I designed the cabinet using sketchup so it looked like this:Cabinet 3-10-Left.JPG It stands 77" tall, 47" wide and is 20 inches deep.

The cabinet looks like this:
    IMG_7337-s.jpg

There is an adjustable shelf in the upper and another in the lower compartments. The main frame is 3/4" birch plywood with poplar used for the faces, face frames and doors.

She wanted it finished with the MinWax Transformations cabinet finish in the Kona color, which is a dark chocolate brown color. The left side door opens on the broom storage with a singe shelf for storing swiffer pads. I contacted MinWax about using the Transformations product on new wood. They recommended a shellac based primer. They also told me that the Furiture and Cabinet products are the same only the coverage amount changes from 50 sq ft to 100 sq ft for the Caabinet kit.
    IMG_7339-s.jpg

The right side has shelves for use as a pantry. All the shelves are adjustable.
    IMG_7342-s.jpg

The only real problem with the finish is that the final protective coat is a water based product that looks and acts like their water bade poly acrylic finish. Using it on the dark color, any bubbles or runs dry white in color and really show up against the dark background. Sanding tends to break through the color coat even though I applied two coats to show the gray primer under it. I did have the primer tinted, from the original white, but they could only add a small amount of tint which resulted in a light gray color.

I just delivered it today.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Great looking cabinet and great storage.

We will call it "The Kitchen Cupboard"......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

It looks great...You packed a lot of storage into the cabinet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    She wanted it finished with the MinWax Transformations cabinet finish in the Kona color, which is a dark chocolate brown color. The left side door opens on the broom storage with a singe shelf for storing swiffer pads. I contacted MinWax about using the Transformations product on new wood.
    Correction: The Transformations product is made by Rustoleum not Minwax. Sorry for the confusion.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Great looking cabinet. I guess you kept the red cabinet top/middle shelf from the original design? The cabinet looks terrific and maybe that red looks better in person. Really nice project.

I was guessing that shelf is cherry .. and I think it looks great in there.