Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0514X2 bandsaw vibration help

Grizzly G0514X2 bandsaw vibration help

Hi guys,

I need help. I've been working with Grizzly tech support and the vibration problem I have on my saw is getting worse.

I've uploaded to youtube a series of videos showing the problem - am I overreacting to what I see as a problem? My cuts are wavy like rippled potato chips.

grizzly has sent me new tires, a new bottom wheel and new tires again. I've installed a link belt. The new bottom wheel made things even worse (the new wheel they sent is junk - holes and riveted plates to balance it).

I'm tired of dealing with this saw - I've taken it apart so many times I can't even recall the number.

I'd love to have a smooth saw but this one is not it for me.
    Here is the first video - there are a series of them under this account
    http://youtu.be/B5sNnCNKmzg

what would you do? I also bought four timberwolf blades so if I return the saw I'm out that money as well. All blades show the same vibration so it isn't coming from there.

I've expressed my frustration with tech support - over a dozen emails from me alone working through this - pictures, videos, lots of testing and measurements. I'm tired and just want to use my saw to build something.

Please let me know what you would do...
    Jon

I have had this saw for several years now and after initial set up refinement it runs smooth. I would have them replace the whole unit. Sure looks like that top wheel isn't running true.

Mike

I did check both wheels with a dial indicator when I had the tires off - both were showing less than .001" in radial out of roundness. I think the whole thing is shaking from somewhere which is seen in the slow motion video.

Mike - what setup refinement did you have to do? I was expecting adjustment of the table and guide bearings, etc. nothing like what I've been going through.

I imagine the return/replacement process on the machine will be a royal pain. I will need to crate up the old machine somehow since the original crate was destroyed getting the machine unpacked. Maybe I can get by with bolting it to a pallet and not putting a crate around it.

Maybe you have done this, but I didn't see it in your post. Have you isolated where the problem begins? What I mean is, if you take the bottom wheel off and just run the motor, what happens? If it's fine, then put the bottom wheel/belt back on, then run it. If it's smooth, then start working your way up. If the vibration starts when you put the blade on, could be bearings on lower or upper wheel, improperly balanced wheel(s), or even a loose bolt in the upper wheel tightening system. With that much vibration, it should be easy to isolate it. I would remove the table and guides to help with the diagnosing the problem. How long have you had the saw? It's up to you if it's worth the hassle of returning it for another saw. I have the 513 with the brake and it runs very smooth. I had a chirp coming from it, and thought something in the motor was acting up. It ended up being a guide bearing. Replaced it and it runs great.

I'm getting some runout in the drive pulley - there is a video of that. grizz tech said it should not cause my issue. I am doubtful in that response. I've done the rest and cannot isolate it beyond that pulley.
    Last edited by Jon Prouty; 07-19-2014 at 3:49 PM.

I have a GO555 Grizzly band saw and had vibration in it after a few years. I checked the bearings on the lower wheel and they were fine but the shaft the bearings run on was badly worn. I replaced this $10 part and now it runs smooth again.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

John,

How old is your saw?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sorry guys - the saw is brand new. I ordered in March and it was delivered in April. Vibration was here from initial startup. I figured it was the stock blade so ordered new ones. Everything from a 1/4" to a 1" blade show the same levels of vibration. Bearings all seem to be in good order with no catching or other standard bearing wear signs. I've been dealing with tech support for a month and my saw is worse than ever.

here are more details.
    Multiple blades all show same issue
    Blade guides are not rubbing (top and bottom)
    Removed V belt and motor is running is smooth (I can feel a slight hum in the table when motor runs alone but nothing I consider abnormal)
    Top and bottom wheel appear balanced and not binding up on a bearing (I did the chalk thing on the wheels)
    With blade removed I have about half the vibration as seen in videos - still excessive.
    There is no debris under the tires and I've put on new tires
    This showed up on initial start up with stock blade and three new ones as well.
    Blades track good
    Base is shimmed to eliminate harmonics
    Cut is very poor - rippled due to shaking
    new bottom wheel sent by Grizz looks like it came from an old saw - it was scratched and had two weights riveted on and multiple balance holes cut in the back - a real hack job but I was willing to try it.

everything seems tight/smooth - maybe a little excessive movement in huge upper wheel when no tension or blade is installed but that should be normal I think. There is nothing there to adjust that I can find other than the normal tracking function.

I can't imagine that that bottom pulley having some runout not causing some problems - even with a link belt.

Jon

How much is the runout on the pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Khan View Post
    How much is the runout on the pulley?
    About .004" measured at the valley of the pulley.

No expert here but I'd probably approach it like Randy Henry above. You've run the motor by itself and saw no issues. Next I'd remove the lower wheel and run it with just the belt and drive shaft added to the mix, no wheels. That should show if there are issues with the belt/pulleys/lower bearings. If everything is still smooth, reinstall the lower wheel and try running it again. Still smooth? I don't know of a way to spin the upper wheel at working speed without a blade installed, unfortunately. It seems highly unlikely but all 4 blades are from the same manufacturer. Could there be some common flaw?

Have you measured both radial and axial runout on the rotating components?

Mike

A wheel can be completely within factory tolerance (whatever that might actually be...) for runout, yet still be improperly balanced, which can cause a vibration like that.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I'm sending it back to Grizzly and getting my money back. They don't want to ship me a replacement which would allow me to use the new ones crate and pallet. Their solution was to have me purchase a second saw and refund me for the first after it is received and they inspect it. I am not forking over any more money to Grizzly and after this experience I will probably never buy anything from them again. I hear so many good things about the company and their customer service. Makes me wonder why so many people have to use their customer service but now I get it. This isn't a bash on a Grizzly - just my experience with this saw and resulting customer service issue. I feel a month of emails and unsuccessful results is too much to deal with. Looks like I get to build a crate.

So, I'm going to be looking for another bandsaw. I like the 3hp and large table of the Grizz but the resaw height is too small at 12". For a 19" saw I would have expected a larger resaw capacity. I intend to use this saw for processing logs for my turning addiction and the occasional flatwork project (I don't have room for a tablesaw so this is my primary processing tool).

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry to hear this. I have a G0513X and it runs so smooth and quiet that you can forget to turn it off. Your video shows a completely unacceptable level of vibration whatever the cause. With a few exceptions, these saws have been a real winner at the price point for Grizzly. It does seem that when one has troubles, it has them in spades ;-(
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler