Thread: Medallions

Medallions

These small medallions are for the facia panel along a vanity. They will get inlaid into the panel above each leg.
    The blanks were prepped for me in Mahogany. I made a router bit to make the small step where the beads got carved. Everything had to be within certain specs.
    They measure 2 " X 4 " so you can see they are fairly small for what has to go into them and still keep the carving clean. They worked out nicely.

Here you can see the sketch, setting in the step and roughing in the beads. There are 52 of them surrounding the carving at 1/8th inch each.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

And here I carved in the petals for the flower design.
    The last photo is the piece I'm working on now and is nearly completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-19-2014 at 1:08 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

It amazes me how clean and crisp all your carvings are. Thanks for sharing!
    "Always Chipping Away"

Thank you Roger.
    I always think crisp carving is where it's at. That and not having any lines from stop cuts left in a piece. And for what these are going for they have to be nice even for little carvings!
    On these those beads were a bugger to keep clean. Especially the area behind them as it was difficult to get a chisel in there. And as a side note they were done with full size chisels.
    i just wrapped up the keystone not a half hr.ago and I'll get that posted tonight . I had to make a chisel to do one section of it. Worked very well.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-20-2014 at 8:45 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Excellent work as always Mark, the flowers are quite nice looking indeed.

I'm probably being dense but I'm afraid I'm not understanding how you roughed the beads? I'm quite sure you shaved hours off of any method I can figure out.. It looks? like you did the initial cuts with something like a small plug cutter? and then.. I'm not sure how you cleaned up the remainder from the pictures..

Also wondering how you hold little fellows like that down? carpet tape? a couple small screws in the back?

Hi Ryan,
    Yeah, to rough them in I did indeed use a type of plug cutter. I used a piece of brass tubing where I reamed out the inside to get the initial cuts. Cleaning up the rest was with chisels etc. and whatever I could get to fit. Believe me , it's small in there!
    As to holding them , for years I've been using the cloth type carpet tape to hold carvings in place. I know many ( as I once did) use glue and paper between the part and the base. This process with the tape is much more effective.
    The Woodworking Studio

Thanks Mark, really appreciate the details.

The little scalloped pieces you lifted off were confusing me but on fifth look I see they're thinner than I'd first thought so it makes more sense that they were just lifted out with a chisel now

Yeah, just the initial cuts on the way to full depth. These blanks weren't done the way I would have liked as they were not done flat sawn but the carving was done on edge grain.
    I'll have to let them know about that for future projects. It made the carving more difficult than it had to be.