Thread: ClearVue Cyclone Duct Gauge

ClearVue Cyclone Duct Gauge

Hi everyone
    I'm a new member to the group, and came here to access the experience of existing users of ClearVue Cyclones. I have bought and assembled a ClearVue CV1800, standard impeller, 5 hp, etc., and plan on using 6" metal ducting in the system. I can purchase 26 gauge hvac snap-loc 6" duct locally, and already have about $850 worth of 6" adjustable elbows, "Y"s, blast gates, and reducers purchased from Lee Valley and Oneida. I was talking to ClearVue yesterday, asking if there was an elegant solution to fit 6" duct to the slightly over-sized inlet on the cyclone, when I was asked what gauge ducting I was going to use. When I said 26 gauge, she informed me that the ClearVue would probably collapse the ductwork, and that they recommend minimum 22 gauge, or 24 gauge spiral. Going back and re-reading Bill Pentz's articles, I saw that he talks about 26 gauge, and on the Oneida site saw that they recommend 24 gauge for cyclones with "...more than 5 hp". Does anyone have experience with 26 gauge ducting and a ClearVue? Am I safe using that, or do I need to go to a thicker wall?

Welcome to the forum. I have no advice regarding the metal ductwork, since my system uses PVC. Are you sure that the elbows are thin gauge? If they were purchased from suppliers of dust collectors, then it seems reasonable that they are strong enough. The curvature and stamping process may also impart additional strength of the fittings. Maybe you can still use them but look for a source of heavier straight sections.

Also, ClearVue has a forum on their web page with membership limited to CV owners. They would be a great source of additional info.

Steve

This is the first post I have read about heavier than 26 gauge pipe. My cyclone is only 2hp, and I have 26 gauge, rather than the thinwall heating and ac piping. Spiral is a bit stronger than snaplock, because of the twists. As far as fitting to the cyclone, get a Fernco plumbing fitting, they are made of rubber and you can use them to adapt to slightly different sizes of pipe, as well as get a insulating effect from using a rubber fitting between cyclone and piping.

I would be really surprised if a 15" curved impeller could collapse a 26 gauge pipe. 30 gauge for sure but not 26. I prefer spiral and don't like 6" mains because they limit the system but by design a curved blade impeller is low pressure so the 26 should work. The Oneida fittings will be 24 gauge so your only risk is a piece of pipe. I'd try it. Dave

26ga won't be a problem. You'd need a significantly more powerful dust collector to collapse it.

Thanks, everyone. I believe I'll go with the 26 gauge after all. And I'll check out that plumbing fitting - it sounds like a good solution, better than what was suggested by ClearVue (multiple wraps of duct tape, or a lot of silicone caulk).