Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy here, looking for help with getting started

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Good tip, I updated my location. I'm in Temecula,CA. If anyone is from this area I'd love to hear from you.
    I am further north than Glenn. Still if you want to come to the Ventura County beach, I'll be happy to help you out. I am a blended woodworker. I do stock prep with power tools, but any semi-sophisticated joinery is done with hand tools.

Others have given you sound advice. The only thing I might add is some technique projects. One could be a box. To make this, you'll have to master square and straight. It needn't be dovetailed, but well done rabbets / rebates will give you necessary practice without a lot of material.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 07-20-2014 at 1:02 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I am further north than Glenn. Still if you want to come to the Ventura County beach, I'll be happy to help you out. I am a blended woodworker. I do stock prep with power tools, but any semi-sophisticated joinery is done with hand tools.
    I actually have in-laws up in Thousand Oaks so I might take you up on your offer at some point. Thanks for helpful suggestions! My daughter just bought a crate from Michael's and showed it to me. My first thought was I should be able to do something like that lol! Maybe Ill try that first.

If you are committed to learning the basics please consider buying a few good books. The web is meh as many folks contribute and there is no editing for the most part and often little rigour. Lots of opinion and bad practice though. Check out the Taunton Press for material. Following sound principles is the foundation of any good fabricating, then you will realise that good tools and equipmet provide you with another leg up. It is a fun journey, come to the web by all means but don't rely on it as your sole instructor.

I highly recommend taking at least a beginning course.

Most of what we do is built on the same basic skills,
    repeatedly applied. A ten-day intensive or six weekend "taster"
    will get you most of the way there.

I highly recommend you get to know your local lumber supplier.
    If they can provide you quality boards to fit each project,
    and "skip plane" them to near your final thickness
    that's one less piece of equipment you need to spend money on.

Good call Chris, Ill check their books out.

Jim - I have visited with my local hardwood supplier and they have decent stock, but I cant find anything locally that has anything thicker than 3/4"...I guess that will have to do until I can find someone else around here.

Mike for lumber check out Petermans lumber in Fontana. It is about an hour north of you. It is the candy store for wood. They close at 4PM during the week.

Reel Lumber in Riverside. Nice peeples.

Rick P