Thread: Huanyang VFD RPMs (Oliver 270D and Poitras 4800)

Huanyang VFD RPMs (Oliver 270D and Poitras 4800)

Just got my second 3-phase tool working with a Huanyang VFD... Oliver 270D. Also have a Poitras 4800.
    Both are 3HP three phase, and I have gotten them both working with the VFD with the same issue in both cases.

When I set the motor up I end up getting RPM displayed as too high. It's too high by the the difference between 50hz and 60hz.
    I end up going into the motor RPM (PD144 for those of you who might care about this detail) and dropping the motor RPM down by 17%.

Then when I fire it up, the RPMs display correctly. In other words, by following the instructions I should set PD144 on the 270D at 3500.
    When I do this the saw spins up to 4200 (by the display, anyway). If I go in and set the RPMs down to ~3000, it spins out right around the 3500 spec.

I've not seen this issue discussed in the many postings I've read about configuring these VFDs.

I'm hoping the RPM display is correct on the VFD, and that it is not underspinning the motors now.

Anyone else run into this?

-Bob

Found another reference that says that PD144 is "D144 should be your motor's RPM at 50hz", which would indicate I'm doing the right thing with the config above.

Not much use, but I prefer cutterhead speeds on the slower side. My current table saw has a European motor and goes real fast and is loud. Speeds are kind of arbitrary. They used to run table saws on foot-pedal power and with water-wheel jackshafts. A faster cutter speed allows a faster rate of feed. I believe too that feeding too slow at a give cutter speed is not so good for the sharpness and may glaze or burn the work. I'd rather feed a little slower.

* I don't use VFDs on my 3 phase equipment. When I got my first 3 phase machine I used a VFD and it sounded so weird it scared me and I went over to a rotary converter. The machine is still frightening when it spins up but the anxiety that I might have the VFD misconfigured is out of the equation. It's a tenoner, basically, made in Germany and it spins up like a mescherschmidt.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 07-20-2014 at 3:16 AM.

You have pd004 set to 60Hz correct? It is default 50hz. That is your base freq and is set to the freq on the motor's nameplate.

What is your pd003 set to?

How are you validating/measuring rpms? Do you have a non-contact tach you can use to measure directly on the motor shaft?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

PD003/4/5 are all set to 60hz.

I just ordered a non-contact tach off amazon (was only $16 with good reviews). Good thought! I'll try and report back.

Loren... the soft/slow start available with the VFDs ought to reduce your startup anxiety. I know it does mine!
    Spooling up the 270D for the first time (14" blade) was a bit nerve racking. :-)

However, check this out... my first dime test video on the 270D. You can hear the ramp up provided by the VFD.

-Bob
    Last edited by Bob Wise; 07-20-2014 at 2:56 PM.

The ramp up time can be varied if required. There is a lot of discussion and a dedicated thread on the Huanyang in the Australian WW forums.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I assume you have 60hz 3450rpm motors.

You set PD144 to the rpm at 50hz so set pd144 to 2850 - that is the equiv to running the motor at 60hz and 3450rpm. PD004 and PD005 should be set to 60. The rpm's will be correct as you will run the motor at 60hz and the vfd should display 3450rpm.

If you have another rpm motor @60hz then the math is: rpm/60*50 = plug that number into pd144.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

That's what I did, thanks for the validation!

-Bob

And final followup, bought a cheapo laser photo tach. Reads within spitting distance of what the VFD says.
    VFD displays 3499, laser tach says 3578.