Thread: The Jeep (Way OT)

The Jeep (Way OT)

We were very poor growing up, even more so than I am now. My father had the equivalent education of going half way through the fourth grade. He was a hard worker though and sometimes made as much as $6 per hour. In later years, when Martha (the oldest girl) was old enough to care for us my mom worked at Peddler's Village restaurant in Goshen IN. There were eight of us kids to feed, a scene somewhat like a mother bird returning to her nest with a worm, the babies all crying with their mouths open wide.

Christmas was sparse at our house. I don't remember ever getting a Christmas gift that was just for me from my parents other than a small bag of peanuts or an orange maybe; in later years there may have been gifts for us each but I don't remember them. There was usually a gift to share among the four boys and then a feminine gift for the girls. I don't remember the Christmas clearly when we got the jeeps. I don't remember the actual moment when we got the jeeps, but the memories grew as time passed. There were two little jeeps, for the boys. Girls didn't play with trucks, they played with dolls and miniature tupperware sets. Trucks were for boys. The jeeps were tougher than Meg, minimal in design, painted green which was soon chipped all to pieces. A small die cast metal with a few plastic parts, wheels and interior, about 3" long. The little jeeps were my favorite toys; since there were two, I could usually have one to play with on Sunday afternoons. I had hundreds of hours of fun with one of those jeeps. Nobody knows whatever happened to those, but they are gone.

Last week I was thinking about that jeep. I had no idea of the manufacturer and just Googled "small toy jeep". Of course with billions of hits I had no chance of finding one like we used to have. Friday I was looking for some stuff on Ebay and did a search on Ebay for "small toy jeep". I looked through several hundred pictures before I saw one like I used to have. It was labeled as "Tootsietoy Jeep". I googled "Tootsietoy" and came up with a very interesting history of the company that made the jeep, began in the early 1900's and still in business today. They have had to adapt drastically to the marketplace but they used to make millions of very minimal die cast toys, very high quality. People collect them nowadays, especially the pre-war models.

Once I began searching ebay for "tootsietoy jeep" the little jeep popped up all over the place with a large variety of prices. I had to have one of course. I settled on an auction with an opening bid that looked high at $12.99 but you always look at the shipping on ebay and this shipping was free. At 8:58:24 last night I won that auction. According to ebay I should have the jeep on Wednesday. I will look a little strange crawling around on the floor playing with a jeep at my age but I am looking forward to it.

Tootsie Jeep single.jpg
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-20-2014 at 8:31 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

"You're never too old to have a second childhood".

I'm not the first to say that but I sure wish was.

Enjoy. I know others my age (almost 60) that have done the same.

-Tom

Thats a neat story Moses. I have a couple small items like that from childhood too.

I remember Toosietoys, too.

Fred

Your stories are terrific, and this one is no disappointment.

Thanks for sharing.

Great story Moses. Glad that you get to reclaim a happy chunk of your childhood. I bought a dutch girl cookie jar for about the same reason.

Moses, that is a great story, thank you for sharing! I can, to some extent, relate. My dad (and mom) dropped out of school after 8th grade, during the Depression. We were not quite in the same financial circumstances as you, but we were far from "living in high cotton." (I grew up in the south.)

I'm guessing that little toy jeep, after some miles on the floor, will occupy a place of honor in your home. Enjoy!

Regards,
    Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Brother I have a house full of memories toys, games...worth every penny I spent on them too

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Kid's toys are the best argument for having them.

Kids, I mean. They get the toys.
    But they have to go to bed eventually...

Blog Entries
    Some of us never grow up. Some toy Jeeps are bigger than others. Photo taken this last weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-22-2014 at 4:54 PM.
    NOW you tell me...