Thread: A Different Bow Saw

Blog Entries

A Different Bow Saw

Was doing a bit of Sunday morning reading when an article by the Schwarz on unusual face vises included an odd bow saw in the image of a face vise.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...ual-face-vises

It is the third image in the article.

This looks like it would be a little unwieldy, my main reason for not using bow saws, but could be kind of fun once someone got the hang of it.

Anyone seen our used one like it?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't own a pistol-grip bowsaw and haven't used one but I've seen a couple old ones. Here's a new one.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

On the rare occasion I use my bow saw, I hold it with both hands.

The instability of the design is what makes it possible to turn corners.
    That's also the disadvantage, it wants to turn.

Most of my bowsaw blades had excess set, and when reduced they tracked straighter​.

Blog Entries
    In the world of whitewater paddling, the terms initial and final stability are often referred to. These terms are important because whitewater boats with good initial stability often have very poor final stability when they are leaned over making a turn, surfing or quartering waves... It has occurred to me that this same principal may apply to some hand tools. A spokeshave with a flat bottom will follow straight grain patterns in wood better than curved bottom spokeshaves. However, a curved bottom spokeshave may follow crooked grain, cut against straight grain...performing tasks that a flat bottom spokeshave would find difficult or impossible. Like Jim mentions bowsaws may feel a little unwieldy cutting a straight line but more stable cutting a crooked line. I also find that once one learns to use a tool that turns and works better in less standard situations it may not be substantially harder to make the straight cut with it either.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-21-2014 at 1:41 PM.

Hmmm. Learn something new every day indeed.

Those saws are too eat up with a case of the UGLIES!!!

Blog Entries
    If you really want to get serious about sawing straight lines with hand tools though, you might want this combo:

Sm Bontz:Stanley Miter Saw.jpg

Stanley # 150 miter saw with Bontz 20" Roubo/Miter saw. Yes, I am a little afraid to use the Bontz saw in the miter box for fear of scratching it. May order leather from Tandy to put on the areas the saw rides between. I waxed the saw and miter clamp with Renaissance Wax which seems to work. It would help if I wasn't currently sharing my shop with a bitch and her litter of pups, behind the saw.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-21-2014 at 1:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    I love using my bow saw with turbo cut blade…..for pruning trees.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, you must not have tried any of the Silky pruning saws yet Brian. Hand operated chain saws, no gas or chain oil required. I don't know what I would do without mine. Milton GA turned into a tropical jungle two years ago and does not appear to be getting any drier.

Blog Entries
    No need for one at the moment, but I have my eye on a Silky Hayauchi pole saw for some of the trees in my yard.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Hayate pole saw last fall. I have had a Zubat small pole saw for years and love it but it was too small for higher larger limbs. I had "fallen" trees hanging in other trees, over fencing, from all the wet ground. I draw the line at climbing hanging trees with a chain saw in my hands. The Hayate reached high enough for me to take off major pieces (6-10" in diameter) from the top of some large trunks until I got to something manageable with a chain saw. I was very impressed with how fast it cut through large branches. Not a cheap saw but much cheaper than paying an arborist to do it. I saved a few expensive wind break trees too. Six months later I imagine that saw has paid for itself several times. I own a 12 acre dog park with a long private driveway, and a large creek on one boarder, something always needs pruning.

The silky saws are generally curved so they are bowed saws right?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-21-2014 at 6:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    LOL, bowed saws.

Sounds like a lot of work, all worth it though I'm sure. I get lost in my landscaping even more than woodworking, very enjoyable.