Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long day in da shop (pics)

Smile Long day in da shop (pics)

I've been putting material away for a Mission/A&C type dining table for a year or so...and struggling with the design. The one Mike posted the other day is very similar to what I wanted, so I got serious about drawing it up the last couple nights (good to have a boring job! ) Here's what I got accomplished today...

I'm using a 'double through' tenon to join the apron and pedestal at the top of the legs...the tenons on the pedestal cross pieces have a mortise cut in them so the side apron can go through. Tedious.

Tomorrow I'll cut the mortises for the spindles, cut the arcs on the lower end cross pieces and the side aprons, cut the mortise and fit a cross stretcher between the lower ends...and start the pre-glue up sanding. I'm also giving some thought to using some very highly figured birdseye maple for the spindles. I've looked through my stash of 'special' mesquite, and I'm not finding anything I like. I've used maple before with mesquite, and it's quite fetching. Still haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning that way.

Also in the shop are a set of coffe/end tables like the ones I just finished out that nasty oak.

And here's a chunk of mesquite with a natural edge that I think I'll sit on a very simple Shaker base. I'm trying to get ready for the fall Mesquite Festival...I will NOT be in the shop the night before we load the truck this year.

That's about it for now. When the thermometer said 101.8, I decided I'd had enough for the day.
    Last edited by Kirk (KC) Constable; 07-03-2005 at 7:17 PM.

Yeah..I heard about the temperature there today. Wow...ya'll must be cookin'. Very nice as always KC!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

looking good!! I really like the double through mortise & tenon. mission ac is my favorite.

You're a better man than I am, Kirk. It's been that hot here in Ft. Worth, and I just haven't been able to make myself get out into the shop much. Perhaps in the morning when it's only somewhere between 80 and 90.

Nice work KC, great looking piece. You do really nice work!

Corey

Looks great, KC. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

- Vaughn

Very nice KC. I haven't yet figured out how to post pictures on this site. I usually visit another site. If I get caught over here I'll probably get grounded.

I've been doing a lot with mesquite, too. I can appreciate what you're doing!
    Scot

KC, Just once I would like to get to that mesquite gathering. Maybe this will be the year.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Mesquite gathering? Where, When, what are the prices like?
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

KC, looking good as always. Those double tenons are a real nice detail. Can't wait to see the finished project.

KC, that table looks good from here. Like those double through tenons. You said that was tedious but I think the finished joint is worth it.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

Texas Mesquite Association has two annual shows...one at the Marktplatz in Frederiscksburg the second weekend in October, the other in April at Fort Concho in San Angelo. Free admission, free parking at both events. Usually something around 60 vendors showing.

Selling prices for furniture/turnings/crafty things run a wide range, depending on the piece and the builder.

Most of the lumber sold there will probably be less than $10 bf, again depending on the guy selling it.

KC

Really nice KC. The double through tenon is a nice touch!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

WOW! I love those double tenons!!! Very nice work!!!

KC,

Never heard of a double tenon until now, but it looks like a good, strong, joint. Well done as usual!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style