Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift-Lid Boxes out of the Scrap Pile

Blog Entries

Lift-Lid Boxes out of the Scrap Pile

Cut offs and scraps are a challenge for many of us. What to keep, where to put it, etc. I was getting ready to move some material from the scrap bin to the burn pile but, made some simple lift-lid boxes instead. After all, Christmas is only 157 days, 4 hours and 5 minutes away. Woods are cherry and walnut, B.E. maple and walnut, chakte kok and pecan

Bevy of Boxes (10).jpg . Bevy of Boxes (12).jpg . Bevy of Boxes (13).jpg . Bevy of Boxes (14).jpg . Bevy of Boxes (15).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-21-2014 at 8:29 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice work!

Thanks for the good idea Gene.

Those boxes look good!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I was just complaining about my scraps last night. I can't seem seem to throw or burn anything away . Looks like everybody's getting boxes this Christmas. Thanks for the suggestion, very nice work!

Glenn, these are very nice. What size are they?

Oh ya! Nice!!

I'm a big advocate of "lift lid" boxes.
    Keep 'em coming.
    No need to change anything.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill White; 07-22-2014 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Added comments.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

how are you attaching the sides of the lid to the top?

Very nice Glen. Gives me an Idea for all the scrap I have. I have a hard time throwing exotic wood in the wood stove. I have to figure something out as I'm loosing space to scrap wood. Some scrap are whole boards.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    how are you attaching the sides of the lid to the top?
    The top has a profile that you see and some that you don't. The part that you don't see is a tongue. This tongue fits into a groove around the inside of the top (the bottom is done the same way). The top and bottom are floating panels. The bottom is just a chamfered profile where you can see it. This give the box a shadow line off the surface it sets on. The top is thicker and I mill the additional exposed profile that is a bit more fancy.

Speaking of fancy, I found the boxes just a bit too plain. After discarding some ideas for handles on the top or sides I went with a simple round "key" that mates to a notch in the sop and sets proud. They just needed a little 'something'.

Bevy of Boxes (18).jpg . Bevy of Boxes (19).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-22-2014 at 8:33 PM.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Greinert View Post
    Glenn, these are very nice. What size are they?
    About 6-1/8" x 4-1/4" x 3-1/4" high. Dimensions were dictated by what I could get out of the scrap. There more the type of thing that is more for looking at and handling than a thing that is "useful". I have made similarly sized items and have had folks tell me they do things like put ticket stubs and matchbooks in them from an anniversary date or other special occasion as a sort of 'memory vault'. Cute idea; wish I woulda thought of it ;-)

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The top has a profile that you see and some that you don't. The part that you don't see is a tongue. This tongue fits into a groove around the inside of the top (the bottom is done the same way). The top and bottom are floating panels. The bottom is just a chamfered profile where you can see it. This give the box a shadow line off the surface it sets on. The top is thicker and I mill the additional exposed profile that is a bit more fancy.
    Awesome...

Very nice boxes. Would you mind walking through the steps of cutting the sides and the top and bottom rabbets? I think I know how it's done but would like to be sure.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Very nice boxes. Would you mind walking through the steps of cutting the sides and the top and bottom rabbets? I think I know how it's done but would like to be sure.

thanks
    I second the request
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Glenn, I'm assuming the second "n" in your name is silent If you will PM me, I'll send you my address so I's can get on your "Christmas list" Great work!