Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Sander Base (cabinet) Jet, Performax, 16-32

Drum Sander Base (cabinet) Jet, Performax, 16-32

I have a Performax 16-32 drum sander and may ditch the current base (the original performax silver base) and build one instead. I feel I could build a cabinet within the footprint (24" x" 34") of the machine, thus taking up less space and offering a great deal of storage.

I know I have seen a few shop built bases for these machines but for the life of me I cannot find them on this forum.

Please post pics of yours if you built one.

Do a Google image search for "performax 16-32 shop made base" and I think you'll get all you need.

You would be wrong, I've already tried that. Also, Google customizes results so your results are not the same as mine based on prior web searches, location, etc.

I bought a used Jet 22/44 with the mobile base that was included with it. I look at it and am always wondering what the heck they were thinking when they designed it. It is completely welded together, but the shelf placement is horrible. There is a gap below the shelf that is too small to put anything in, so it is just wasted space. The casters are both straight, so it can roll side to side, but you have to lift one end to get it to turn a corner.

You can easily make a much better one.

Steve

You're welcome for trying to help.

I turned off all the custom settings and the results weren't different, if at all. And I tried it on three different devices, and results were the same. I'm thinking it works just fine and the issue is on your end.

machine bases

There are hundreds of ways to build shop built cabinets for machine tools, and they don't have to be designed just for your sander. You can make them with or without wheels according to your needs. Here I built a shop air cleaner to hold two very heavy sanders. You could make a plain cabinets full of drawers, or one on wheels to custom fit your machine. Ideas are endless, and the best thing you can do is custom design it to fit your needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (88.1 KB, 51 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (89.1 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (90.4 KB, 55 views)

Mine is bolt together and one of the very early Performax bases, the leg spread seems much larger than later models or current Jets.

I do not have a dedicated workshop so all my tools are mobile and most pull double duty - storage shelves or drawers in the bases.

I am certain I can whip together another rolling base for the drum sander however if other have already done so and included features like extension wings, drawers, or other features, I should see what they have done.

While I appreciate your efforts, thats not how it works.

I have worked in IT for 20 years and know a bit about it. For example, my wife and I can be on opposite ends of the couch and use the same internet connection, use the same search terms, in the same browser with the same engine and get totally different results.

(poor example follows)
    If a pilot did a lot of searching for planes the google algorithm will guide them to aircrafts by using criteria of other searches and links clicked by this user.
    A wood worker looks up planes they will likely receive items about hand planes.

A few days ago I spent a great deal of time looking at woodgears.ca and now most of my results, using the very words you suggested, are of people with home made drum sanders.

The only real way to ditch those results is to move to a different engine such as DuckDuckGo.

Blog Entries
    Supermax 19-38 - The footprint of this cabinet is still smaller than the sander while providing tons of storage. Rolls easily and locks in place.

19-38-stand(24).jpg . 19-38-stand(25).jpg

Cubbies in the back for drum rolls and cleanup tools.

19-38-stand(13).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Drum sander

This is mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glen, yours is one of those I remembered.

I have the extension wings on mine too but may choose to remove those thus making it a bit more compact.

I am using a two car garage as my machine area and have an assembly/hand tool area inside. The garage is insulated, heated, air conditioned, etc, but I also like putting cars in there when the tools are not in use, thus size matters.

Thanks for posting.

Paul, very nice. Do you have drawers, doors, or shelves in the base too?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul dyar View Post
    This is mine.
    Cool rig Paul. Nice job on the extension tables and side support.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    Glen, yours is one of those I remembered.

I have the extension wings on mine too but may choose to remove those thus making it a bit more compact.
    The extensions really help with larger or longer pieces. They also help if you use the sander for any sort of thicknessing operation. However, like a planer, you can use off board support stands and I do get the fact that these things have an incredible footprint for a home shop . You may want to experiment with how large the cabinet footprint needs to be to remain stable while feeding large material through. You may find that the extensions aren't going to stick out so much after all but, only you can tell that.

The top and bottom of my cabinet are torsion boxes. My sander is about 225 lbs. as configured and the top torsion allows me to have that 25+ inch span without sagging. The torsion on the bottom helps the carcass remain square but, in practice I do not know that it is essential. Most machines in my shop have either had drawers built into them or have been replaced with drawered cabinets. In tight quarters I can't afford a large footprint machine unless it pays me back for the real estate
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Just to be difficult, I'll post a hybrid version. I had a Craftsman stainless steel mechanics tool cabinet that I got for a song. I put a wood cap on it. The whole shop has to be mobile to return to its garage configuration. I store planes and other items in it in addition to my mechanic's tools.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry for the twisted photo.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

@Glen,
    I was planning on getting the supermax but when I came across the performax at a little over 1/3 the price I had to jump on it. They do seem to be great machines.

@Shawn
    Actually, I never thought about a manufactured cabinet. I'll check craigslist and see if something works.