Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First lathe - options leave my head spinning.

I wrote a review and posted here when I got my Nova Comet II. There are some issues, but I find that I now use it for smaller work instead of using my Powermatic 3520B. The slow speed range has limited power due to the minimal belt contact on the motor and therefore limits roughing out some unbalanced wood at the slow speed. I like the locking headstock but have not used it for indexing, but rather with my "tommy bar" chucks or to hold a piece for hand sanding or carving. The lathe is light and easy to carry, but needs to be anchored. The rubber feet are useless and I recommend mounting on wooden riser blocks to be able to clamp down and also provide more chip cleaning under lathe. I earlier had both Jet 1014 and 1014VS and the Comet would be my choice there, but I do not know about the Jet 1015. The Rikon at 1/2 HP may have power limit issues.

Thanks for the responses. I was looking more for advise in terms of what features I should be looking for, so this was helpful. Sounds like variable speed should definitely be a consideration. I had initially considered the Jet 1221 as well as the list in my initial post. However, with a small shop, and needing to physically lift and move tools to and from shared tool stands, the 120 or so pounds of that unit made my back hurt just thinking about it. So if I find myself leaning toward the Nova Comet II, would the package deal including the chuck be worthwhile...how much would I find myself using/needing the chuck?

Glenn , please consider dust protection from the get go........a little prevention now will go a long way

Depending on what you turn Glenn, you will be using the chuck often.

Glenn, my first 'shop' required moving tools to shared stands too. I had a rack that held each tool on a platform that then mounted to a common stand. Since I was doing only flat work at the time the exception was the table saw.

I would submit that turning so addictive that the lathe will quickly replace the TS as the goto tool and require center stage and a dedicated stand even it it is a rolling stand that gets pushed out of the way for an occasional flatwork piece. Turning shops often have a 'work triangle' with the lathe, sharpening station, and bandsaw being the principle tools. While the bandsaw is only used to prep blanks, the sharpening station gets constant use while turning to keep the gouges sharp.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have not urned on any of the above lathes, but I have been useing a Nova 1624. An love it. It does not have VS but I do not mind the belt changing, I'm not a production turner. The cost was the reason I did not get the DVR version. I have not turned up to 23 inch's useing the out rigger. Have fun with what ever you buy.