Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First lathe - options leave my head spinning.

First lathe - options leave my head spinning.

My apologies for another "what to buy" thread, but I'm ready to buy my first lathe, and have it narrowed down to a handful. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to fight with a cheap, poorly made tool that will deliver poor results and frustration. Being new to lathes and spinning, I'm not sure what features are most important. I would like a small footprint (likely won't be adding any bed extensions). Not sure if variable speed is a must or not, but would rather spend time working wood and not working machines. I've separated what I'm considering into two groups, one with lots of options, and one with no frills lathes.

The current Nova Comet II deal including the G3 chuck seems like the best bargain for the bells & whistles category, but until I actually get into using it, I'm not really sure how much the bells and whistles would prove necessary (G3 chuck, forward/reverse, variable speed, indexing, etc.)

Can anyone help sort these out further and give me some guidance?

Bells & whistles category

Jet 1015vs - $579.99
    Nova Comet II - $499.99
    Nova Comet II (including G3 chuck) - on sale $549.99

Bare bones category

Jet 1015 - $479
    Rikon 70-100 - $299.99
    Excelsior - on sale $199.99

Try to find a turning club in your area most of the turners will do every thing they can to help you and there will probably members who have the lathes you are interested in and be glad to let you try them.

I'm just a light turner, but even so, I have a non-VS lathe and I hate it. So that would be my only recommendation, is to get variable speed. Once you watch someone turn with a VS you will be jealous. I find myself turning at incorrect speeds simply because I don't want to stop to change the belts. Watch a youtube video of someone turning, then imagine that every time they twist the speed dial, you will have to turn the lathe off, wait for it to stop, open the access panel, raise the motor, shift the belt, lower the motor, close the door, turn the lathe on, and wait for it to come up to speed. Yuck.

I started with the Delta 46-460 midi lathe and was very happy with it. Just a little pricier than the others in your list but I'd say worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    I started with the Delta 46-460 midi lathe and was very happy with it. Just a little pricier than the others in your list but I'd say worth it.
    I, too, owned a Delta 46-460 and enjoyed it. However, apparently since the sale of the company, support is iffy. Parts availability has suffered and while I think the lathe is a good choice otherwise, I would not now recommend it. There have been several threads on the creek regarding these issues, though I think most of them were prior to you joining, Marty.

Delta has gone down hill recently. I'd avoid it. I can't speak to the Nova's because I have never used one, but I know they generally make a good product. Avoid the Rikon and Excelsior, they are cheap. Always go for VS if you can. I am a big Jet fan in that price range.

The only one above I have experience with is the Comet2. I bought one for my daughter about 1.5 years ago and there have been no problems.
    Like all the smaller DC's you still have a three position pulley system but you have a good range within each setting with the electronic speed control. You will have to move the belt going from bowls to spindles, ect.
    Not sure where you are shopping but Toolsplus has it for $469 with free G3 chuck and shipping. It is on backorder (what another poster stated) and will be available in August. May be worth a look anyway.
    http://tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300c.html
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Hi Glenn

I bought the Comet II with the G3 chuck a little over a year ago, and I have been very pleased with it. It does have all the bells and whistles and I have used them all. When I have had a chunk of wood too big or ungainly for it I have taken the wood to one of the Nor-Cal Woodturners club mentors' shop and turned it down to fit my Comet II. I also belong to the Gold Country woodturners club and they have four Comet II lathes which were used in a high school shop class along with a couple Deltas and a couple Jet midis. They are now used when the club has workshops, You might contact club President Bill Juhl for a comprehensive review of these lathes. By all means, if you haven't already done so, join your local woodturning club, they will gladly provide you with information, mentors, DVDs, books and classes.

Good luck with the vortex!!

Phil Harris

I wouldn't be without VS. But it adds to the cost. When I started turning there was no such thing and I didn't miss it. Indexing, if you need it, you can set up yourself.

Within any given budget, I think the most important thing to look for is solid, heavy construction. Bells and whistles are luxury, not essentials. They can put any number of bells on a cheap lathe and it will still be a sow's ear. Even a modern chuck, good as they are, is not vital, the old turners managed without.

I've never turned on the machines you listed, but they are all (more or less) in the 'cheap' category. Doesn't mean you can't use them, but you will enjoy turning more if the wood and toolrest don't vibrate.

I would look for a good second hand lathe in preference to a new one at the same price. You can always get a chuck later and upgrade the motor to reversing and VS.

Well, I figure the lathe is maybe 1/4 the cost of every thing you will need. Tools and a sharpening system probably the first 'accessories'. Another reason to find a club is you might find some one who is upgrading and wants to sell their lathe. A variable speed is not a necessity, but once you have one, you will never go back.

robo hippy

+1 on finding a local club. The guys will help you avoid costly mistakes.

As for choice of lathes, I'd strongly recommend you step up to the Jet JWL-1221VS. I bought my 1221VS about a year ago and haven't regretted it for a minute--except when lusting after full-size models. The 1221 is selling now for $799. Comparing it to the Jet 1015VS, you've got greater capacity, twice as much motor, and more beef in general.

I would put variable speed at the top of the "must have" list. The 1221's variable speed is smooth and responsive, and it's also reversible, which I find useful when sanding.

Whatever you decide, jump in and have fun!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I had a Delta 46-460 as my first lathe. The lathe served me well but I was fearful that it might some day need service. Parts have become difficult oftentimes to acquire. If I were to purchase a smaller lathe today, I'd buy the JET 1221VS. It didn't exist two years ago when I bought my Delta.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

At the low end of your list, the Rikon is a good value. For more money; I also recommend a JET 1221.

I started with the Jet 1220VS and would not hesitate to recommend the 1221. My grandson has the 1014 and you can stall the motor by grabbing a spindle. Its fine for pens but not anything much larger without *sharp* tools and good tool control. IMHO, machining on Jet/Powermatic line improves considerably as the machine size increases.

Depending on what kind of turning you want to do, the 1221 should last until you are ready to go for a larger machine. I turned a 12" chip bowl on my 1220 and several 8" deep 8-10" diameter bowls. Not sure the smaller ones would do what you want unless you are satisfied with pens and small kits.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).