Thread: What is...?

What is...?

Kiss cutting?
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

Cutting through self-adhesive label stock (e.g. LaserLights) without cutting into the backing paper.

Sounds difficult/unlikely, but is very easy in practice : the paper backing over the adhesive needs quite a lot more power to be cut than the thin plastic label stuff.
    Last edited by Michael Hunter; 07-21-2014 at 4:06 PM.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Thanks. that is very helpful. Now I understand these instructions. Never messed with vinyl stock before ( Siser Easyweed)
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Just a warning in case you're cutting vinyl in a laser - its a big no - no...

Search PVC in this forum...
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Blog Entries
    You can "get away with" kiss-cutting PVC sheets if you're in a pinch(several here have with no apparent ill effect), but I wouldn't do much of it, and I would turn my exhaust system to max.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Depending on what you want to do -

There are alternatives to vinyl (e.g. mylar) available from sign making suppliers, but these may be difficult to find.
    Even if you find something non-vinyl, you need to be really sure that they have sent the right thing!

I get a high profit margin on engraved labels : these look a bit "special" - particularly the "metal" types.
    Rowmark LaserLights and IPI Ultrathins are the names that I know, but there may be more (they all come from the same factory).
    A 1'x2' sheet costs about £10 and converted into labels fetches between £80 and £150*

* I'm lucky - I have one customer who makes so much on their product that they really don't care what I charge so long as the labels are absolutely perfect.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Kiss Cutting can also refer to marking a line using the cut function but ensuring it only marks the surface. Bit like drawing with a laser point instead of a pen. Used to show drawn details on a surface rather than raster engraving .

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Morning Mr Sheldrake!

Not having a laser in hand can be awkward when reading posts sometimes. Why would you mark a surface with a cut rather than an engraving? Is the appearance different? Speed? Just curious.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Can be a lot faster Dave.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Can be a lot faster Dave.
    spot on Scotty
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Thanks you two!! Will add that to my ever growing bag of notes!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J Anderson View Post
    Just a warning in case you're cutting vinyl in a laser - its a big no - no...

Search PVC in this forum...

As I mentioned above, I will be using Siser Easyweed vinyl which is listed in the Sample Club on Epilog. That's how I found it. So I figure if it is on Epilog's site, it can be lasered safely. So no worries.
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

It's PU based and not PVC Kev, so yes it is safe (assuming normal procedures etc)

cheers

Dave
    You did what !