Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow ground screwdrivers vs. tapered

Hollow ground screwdrivers vs. tapered

Do any of you prefer the use of hollow ground screwdrivers for slotted screws over tapered. I know there are mechanical advantages present in such drivers that prevent damaging the screw slots while providing more torque. I was at a Cabela's sporting goods store the other day where I saw a set of Grace hollow ground drivers. Apparently these are a mainstay in the gun repair business.

Blog Entries
    Do you recall the price?

There are a few different kinds of drivers. Some have parallel faces to avoid the cam out effect of tapered faces.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do you recall the price?

There are a few different kinds of drivers. Some have parallel faces to avoid the cam out effect of tapered faces.

jtk
    Cabela's catalog lists the 8-piece Grace set for $39.99, Midway's price is $33.99.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Mitton View Post
    Do any of you prefer the use of hollow ground screwdrivers for slotted screws over tapered. I know there are mechanical advantages present in such drivers that prevent damaging the screw slots while providing more torque.
    I prefer hollow or parallel ground on most everything; cabinet hardware, guns, cameras, clocks and watches, electronics and so on. I use tapered on paint cans.

The Grace sets are okay.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-21-2014 at 7:26 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

I was thrilled to find a Starrett 559A w/a nicely hollow ground tip in stock a while back, and added it to the toolset for my Shapeoko milling machine:

www.pinterest.com.jpg

(bottom middle tool --- I also got a scribing point, center upper left --- the insert was milled out of basswood after being designed using OpenSCAD)

Sad they're no longer made, and wish I could find a 559B....

Agree w/ David, tapered ground screwdrivers are about fit for use as pry tools, but nothing beyond that.

Check Lee Valley
    Our friends at Lee Valley now sell non-tapered drivers the perfectly fit screws. They work great on brass screws.

William,
    Love the re-purposed cigar box!

You could also check another vendor of gun and shooting supplies: Brownell's. I have one of their Magna-Tip master sets and use it about as much for woodworking and DIY as I do for gun work. I've been thinking about buying/building a kit to dedicate to woodworking so I can rededicate the original kit back to the gun bench.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Some time back (3-4 years) Rockler had a set of electrician screw drivers from Germany which did not come up to code in the U.S. If I remember right they sold this set for like $7.99. They were parallel ground and have been a very nice set to work with.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

If they were red and yellow, I believe LV had something similar and I got them - they've been nice screwdrivers to have.

For anything else, I don't mind getting HF screwdrivers and grinding them. Who knows how many different chinese factories they come out of, but most of the ones I've gotten have been well hardened and have stood up well to modification. When they're marked down, they're $1 each in the stores, or a set of 10 for something like $8.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Mitton View Post
    Love the re-purposed cigar box!
    Thanks! It came from my Dad's estate, so I wanted to use it for something lasting. It was an interesting project and drawing up the parts was fun and it was my first try at flocking --- the fit is a bit tight, need to see what I can do to fix that....

A minor correction --- got the Starrett part numbers reversed I think, (have a 559B (larger / 6" o.a.l.), want a 559A, smaller (4" o.a.l.)), not that it matters much since they're discontinued....

I ONLY use my Brownell's gun screwdriver set on my fine guns. They have widths that snugly fit all the screws. Plus,they are hollow ground. Any fine mechanism,and they are what I use. I have had sets of Grace screwdrivers. While they are nice and traditional looking(wish their handles were less reddish),their tips are freehand ground looking. Not as precise as the Brownell's with the interchangeable magnetic tips. you can buy extra tips,and if one ever breaks,they'll replace it(though I doubt it's worth the shipping!)

I have a love for cigar boxes. I use them extensively in my shop, anywhere from storing Altoids tins full of small parts to tool storage. I frequently visit a tobacco shop here that sells cigar boxes for $2 apiece. (I don't smoke, so I only go there for the boxes.) They even have really attractive ones made from finished wood with hinges and clasps. These are great for storing sets of tools.
    Given my (anal) propensity for not allowing anything plastic in my handtool shop, cigar boxes fill the bill nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    If they were red and yellow, I believe LV had something similar and I got them - they've been nice screwdrivers to have.

For anything else, I don't mind getting HF screwdrivers and grinding them. Who knows how many different chinese factories they come out of, but most of the ones I've gotten have been well hardened and have stood up well to modification. When they're marked down, they're $1 each in the stores, or a set of 10 for something like $8.
    How do you grind them? Just the first inch or so? And do you make the side parallel also?
    Last edited by Doug Hobkirk; 07-24-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Back when I was in shop class one of the assignments was to make a screwdriver --- everyone else in class did chisel style ends, but I carefully ground mine into to make a parallel edge w/ a curve leading up to the straight portion (which began just shy of where the sample screw would reach).

Got an A+ (only one in the class) and the teacher took mine home w/ him to heat treat --- but somehow he never could remember to bring it back to school for me. Ran into him at a funeral a year or so ago, but couldn't bring myself to ask after it.

I guess it worked out though, since I'll still grind a spare screwdriver to the right size to fit a screw rather than booger one.