Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 crotch cherry trivets

2 crotch cherry trivets

I have a habit of hoarding crotch wood but realized that my actually USING it has not been keeping up. It takes some thinking to use highly figured wood, and I finally did some. I began with 4/4 pieces about 2' long, rough shaped them including tenons, then carved the underside. One has african blackwood handles, the other bimble box burl. Tung oil finish.

Okay, the tops are nice.

The carved bottoms - they're epic.
    I think one carved like that on the show face would be spectacular.

Kudos

Those are wonderful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow. Talk some about the carving process. How do you do that? What chisels do you use? How do you get gleaming surfaces without sanding? How long does it take?

Great use of some really pretty wood.

Beautifully done.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Wow. Talk some about the carving process. How do you do that? What chisels do you use? How do you get gleaming surfaces without sanding? How long does it take?
    I experimented with two different gouges but ended up using a #7 (IIRC) exclusively. I kept it honed quite sharp and the resulting chips left a very smooth surface behind. You certainly learn to go across the grain and the varying grain yielded the distinct patterning you see. With some fine tunes blaring from the speakers the hour or two it took for each flew by. It was some of the nicest time I'd ever spent in the shop. Occasionally I actually developed a rhythm, but the real key was the low spot light raking the surface. I shaped the underside with a single gentle curve and just took a chip from every bit of it. The oil finish did the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Okay, the tops are nice.

The carved bottoms - they're epic.
    I think one carved like that on the show face would be spectacular.

Kudos
    Thank you Jim (and all others for the nice comments). I too was really pleased with the underside but talked myself into thinking that function would prohibit carving the top. You have me reexamining this assumption; I may try that on one of the two walnut ones I am now working on.

Those are great! So do you envision these as like trays for fruit or crackers and cheese? Or am I misunderstanding. I think of trivets as those things you put hot pots on, and I don't think these are those. Once again, really nice.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

My wife insists that a "tray" must include border edges so grapes do not roll off of them, so these should be considered "trivets". You could use them for cheese platters (cheese rarely rolls), or as we intend, as replacements for the placemats we use to keep buffet serving dishes of the wooden top of the sideboard.

I try to not let function get in the way of an idea. I just wanted an interesting way to use some crotch boards and maybe generate some demand for the crotch wood I sell. Everything after that is rationalization.

Jim's suggestion and my suspicions that he was correct made me return to the shop and texture the top of one as I had the bottom. Here it is with one coat of oil, plus the before picture for comparison.

The bimble box handle is still smooth. I like that the direction of the carved lines is determined by the underlying grain direction; it makes the observing the texture the same as reading the wood. The wood speaks.
    Last edited by Tom Sontag; 07-23-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Wow.

It's spectacular.

Whatever they're called, they're magnificent and I believe they'll get plenty of use in many capacities. They have style and personality galore.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! Jim was right. Great work on great wood.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Tom,
    Those are beautiful! Thanks for posting, you have provided a spark that will hopefully glow in a couple of comissions I have coming up. I have a fair amount of highly figurede wood sitting around. the carved surfaces are most intriging.