Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting close to purchasing second Laser Trotec vs Epilog

1. All,
    Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. I very rarely get a chance to get on the forum. A couple points to add.
    - Scott, your right, I shouldn't of compared what happened 3+ years ago. But, I also stated in my post a recent interaction (2/13/13) where we had very poor interaction from the USA home office. So in my opinion, things hadn't changed much.
    - I also want to make clear that my interaction with Andy Wingfield the Trotec Sales rep has always been outstanding, and the disappointment came from the USA office staff.
    - Craig, I was working with Trotec directly in the cases I stated.
    - MIke, Always great catching up with you. It does sound like Trotec is doing a great job for everyone that has one. So yes, I will take a look at one for my next purchase.... which will be next year. I really hope that both Epilog and Trotec keep driving each other to be better, as we are the end winners.
    Thanks for listening,
    Pat.

I don't believe you should buy a Trotec...... If you do then we will not hear you complain that the machine is hard to use, 240V 50hz ? how do I rewire my shop, where does this wire go, instructions are confusing, machine is slow, software is too complex to understand, no one knows how to help me, I'm on my third tube in 2 years. I need Tech Support ! ......yada yada yada.......
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 08-12-2014 at 6:05 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

There is really no bad laser system just bad applications.
    Last edited by Kevin Gregerson; 08-12-2014 at 7:38 PM.

I did not know they allowed sarcasm up there .
    I agree with Mark...don't buy one this way those of us who already know the benefits of owning a Trotec will have less competition. Some people drive a Prius and some drive a BMW. They both can get you from point A to B and back to A. It just depends on what you want to do in between and how you want to do it.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    I did not know they allowed sarcasm up there .
    I agree with Mark...don't buy one this way those of us who already know the benefits of owning a Trotec will have less competition. Some people drive a Prius and some drive a BMW. They both can get you from point A to B and back to A. It just depends on what you want to do in between and how you want to do it.
    Can't comment on any brand of laser really other than to say there isn't a one size fits all brand. I've seen shops make money on each brand. It really comes down to application.

I'm an engraver but use a sandblaster currently. Learning tons on lasers, thanks to y'all. I lost a contract to a guy with a laser and therefore am considering expanding my business and tools. Faster throughput, less prep work, less clean up... although lasers can't get as deep as my blaster... anyway I'm looking at Trotec-vs-Epilog - doing research, hope to test some models soon... My question is you guys that run your lasers 8-10 hrs a day -- HOW DO YOU DO IT and WHAT do you do?!?!
    Cheers
    Matt
    Sandblaster Artist/Wanna-Be Businessman

I have a helix 24. It's painfully slow. Having used a Trotec speedy, my next purchase will be a Trotec laser. Way faster.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

It's touching to hear everyone stick up for Trotec's and other's past customer service issues, 'aw, c'mon, give 'em another chance, they'll be better now!' --

But I'll bet there's still no such sticking-up for Gravograph's past customer service issues!.. Is there any regular on this board that's had any dealings with them lately? I haven't heard any, good OR bad.

But I digress. The reason I bring this is up is, no one seems to look at Gravograph for a laser. Checked them out lately? Their top machines will keep up with any Trotec, ULS or Epilog in every category. (Ok, maybe ) And they're bulletproof. My 900, the one Dan is always telling me to clean up, is 11 years old and the only maintenance item I've ever changed is the mirror over the lens. A few years ago the power supply blew a voltage regulator. Gravo's CS had me a half price rebuilt at my door the next morning. I have 13 computer-controlled New Hermes/Gravograph machines I've collected since 1981, who's combined ages now total 233 years... all of them are in perfect working order, and the power supply noted above has been the only major breakdown, ever. And that was an electrical issue. I honestly can't remember ever having a mechanical breakdown. Since 1981. Think about that-- how many of you were even born then?

Yeah, I have to admit that their CS hasn't been the best in the past. But does anyone have any recent experience?

I know I don't, something has to break down first!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-24-2015 at 2:00 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I don't have and won't have recent experience due to my past experience with them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Having just gone through this same process, I did choose another Epilog over Trotec. Price being only one of the reasons. History of superior support and familiarity were some of the other factors. Advancement in design was yet another. The M2 has implemented a number of improvements from my Mini24. Not to say the Mini was bad, it was and still is a work-horse. It's just the M2 is an even better machine. Waiting for it to arrive sometime this morning.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim

Congratulations on your acquisition. I'll be interested to see examples of your work with the fiber.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I don't have and won't have recent experience due to my past experience with them.
    My feelings as well, my IS8000 is a rock solid piece of equipment, I just always felt like I was visiting a foreign country when using the software, granted my bad experience was with the local rep but it just left a bad feeling that I don't want to repeat.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.