Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting close to purchasing second Laser Trotec vs Epilog

Getting close to purchasing second Laser Trotec vs Epilog

I am looking at a Speedy 300 80w and a Helix 75w. I am primarily doing wood rastering nowadays and I need something that will raster FAST.

All of you new trotec owners, how is the transition to using the new software? I have read through older posts on SMC but I want to hear recent input please.

Also, it is networking friendly in an environment where there are two laser systems but one computer that actually handles the designing? (This is pretty important)
    Last edited by Josh Borlovan; 07-22-2014 at 8:53 AM.
    Universal Laser Systems VLS 3.50

Blog Entries
    If your main business will be engraving, then paying 22% more for a machine that is 100% faster seems like an easy choice. If you have the clientelle, the 22% will easily pay for itself in short order with the extra throughput.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There are several shows coming up soon. If you're interested in buying in the next 6-8 weeks, I'd wait for a show and get show pricing.

I think you're looking at it wrong. You are comparing final prices. However, the features aren't the same by any means. Would I pay 22% more for the features the Trotec has? Absolutely. I've said this about a zillion times on this forum, so let's go for one zillion and one....I will NEVER buy a laser that doesn't have a job control system or a programmable Z-Axis. The Helix has neither. So you're not comparing apples to apples. That's like saying "I looked at cars today and one brand was 22% more, but it had power windows, locks, air conditioning, and leather interior and the other one didn't".

If my main concern was rastering, then without question, I, personally, wouldn't go with a slower machine.

If you aren't happy with the offer you got from the Trotec rep, negotiate. Make them a counter offer.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I don't think it a 80w trotec is 100% faster than the Helix. It may be faster but not 100%.
    Last edited by Josh Borlovan; 07-22-2014 at 9:04 AM. Reason: typo

I agree with Steve 100% but even more, I am impressed with the total dependability of the Trotec. I am in my 8th year with only one day on down time and zero outlay for parts. I am going to have to have my tube recharged in the next couple of months but after 8 years I am completely satisfied.

My work is laminated plastics and wood so i do a lot of rastering.

Another point, Trotec has recently expanded their tech support staff and in my judgment they hired some quality people. I have felt that their tech support was always good--now it's better.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Can't speak of a Trotec in a fast production shop. But I find myself doing a lot of wood these days. Exceptionally happy with my Trotec. Rastering speed is great. Would very happily buy thus machine again.

Just heard about a month ago Trotec has a new networking option from one of the tech's who just came back from the factory in Austria.
    Gwieke 1290-100W,
    Trotec Speedy 400 - 80W
    Corel Draw X4

Also keep in mind that if you plan on rastering wood and having it dark, depending on the wood, you're not going to get any speed advantage from the Trotec. You only get the speed advantage when it's running at 100% speed. With many woods, you have to slow it down significantly to get the engraving to turn dark. If you were engraving something like maple and wanted it dark, you'd not see any speed difference in the two machines when rastering.

However, if you're doing things that can run at 100% speed, like engraving plastics, etc., then you'll see the difference.

That's why it's so hard to help people make decisions about things like this, it's so relative to what you plan to do with it.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I really want to demo a 80 watt Speedy but my rep can only put me in touch with 100w machines. I have the option of going to Cincinnati OH possibly. Rep says the power is linear and a 100w running at 80% Power should perform right about the same as an 80w running at 100% power.

I would really like to run some .cdr files on a thumb drive on some of the wood I use regularly in an 80w if possible and just to get a general idea about the job control software. Anyone with an 80w SP300 within a reasonable driving distance from central KY? ZIP 42718 that would be willing to show off their baby for an hour or so?

I would like to run a job on my ULS, and then a SP30080w and then a Helix 75w and see what the time differences are.

Hi Josh - I just spoke with your Trotec Rep and we are coming up with some other options and locations for you. He will follow up with you on these shortly. Thanks!
    Trotec Laser, Inc.
    Marketing

10. Josh,
    I own a Helix 75w for the last 3 years. When I was shopping, I actually took a trip to the Trotec offices and was very disappointed with their staff and expertise to recreate the samples I had brought along from my previous Epilog. The wood engraving did not look near as good as my epilog samples. I think Trotec is the best built machine, but it just didn't seem to have the user friendly software, and support to back it up. My Helix has been a great machine. I have had a couple of days downtime, but Epilog was very helpful in getting me running again. The company I work for by day recently looked at a Galvo laser from Trotec and we again were very disappointed with Trotec's knowledge of the product and the inability to answer our questions and request Hopefully they can get their act together as I do feel they have a great product.
    I would highly suggest you take samples with you to a show and try both machines to make your choice. Good luck. Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Cooley View Post
    Josh,
    I own a Helix 75w for the last 3 years. When I was shopping, I actually took a trip to the Trotec offices and was very disappointed with their staff and expertise to recreate the samples I had brought along from my previous Epilog.
    I think it's pretty unfair to try and compare where a company was 3 years ago to where they are today. I could recount the same story about Epilog. My experience with them was horrible and the rep bought the machine back after 8 months of fighting problems. Does that mean I think they are horrible? Absolutely not.

Trotec today has a fantastic tech support team and their applications people are really do some great things as well. Regardless of the machine quality, I'd have no problem recommending Trotec's tech support and applications lab to anyone. 3 years ago, they were still making the fastest machine on the market. In fact, a 7 year old Speedy 300 is still faster than a 1 day old Helix.

Pat

I have to go with Steve's analysis that Trotec is growing and improving continually. Also remember that what you see in Michigan is just the US operation and doesn't take into account the very competent design and tech staff on call in Austria.

Based on our previous conversations I know you crossed wires with somebody at Trotec but that was quite some time ago. You may want to re-visit them.

Anyway, good to have you join us again. I hope all is going well up there in Iowa.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina Jones View Post
    Hi Josh - I just spoke with your Trotec Rep and we are coming up with some other options and locations for you. He will follow up with you on these shortly. Thanks!
    Thank you! I haven't heard anything as of yet.

I have to agree with Mike that Trotec has one particular new person in their tech/service dept names Mike. I had a question a few weeks ago and spent over an hour with Mike receiving an education on Corel X6 about features that I never knew existed.

I have had my Trotec for two years this month, down one day only. The machine needed a part replaced and my salesman came out on a Saturday, replaced the part and then 5 hours later was on a flight cross country to attend another trade show. To me that is exceptional service. My machine runs 6-7 days a week, 8-10 hours a day.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Cooley View Post
    Josh,
    I own a Helix 75w for the last 3 years. When I was shopping, I actually took a trip to the Trotec offices and was very disappointed with their staff and expertise to recreate the samples I had brought along from my previous Epilog. The wood engraving did not look near as good as my epilog samples. I think Trotec is the best built machine, but it just didn't seem to have the user friendly software, and support to back it up. My Helix has been a great machine. I have had a couple of days downtime, but Epilog was very helpful in getting me running again. The company I work for by day recently looked at a Galvo laser from Trotec and we again were very disappointed with Trotec's knowledge of the product and the inability to answer our questions and request Hopefully they can get their act together as I do feel they have a great product.
    I would highly suggest you take samples with you to a show and try both machines to make your choice. Good luck. Pat.
    Patrick just out of curiosity was it trotec that you were talking to or some third party that sells Trotec lasers? I have 2 Epliogs and I deal with Epilog direct and a rep in Costa Mesa both are great just curious if the blam is Trotec or the theird part?
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)