Thread: Help identifying japanese chisels, please

Help identifying japanese chisels, please

I recently picked up a set(?) of Japanese chisels, but I have no idea as to what brand they are. I'm hoping someone here can ID them for me. The attached picture is the best one I could get of the maker's mark. Thanks!!
    IMG_3643.jpg

You may get better clarity if you make a rubbing of the mark and then photograph it.

Rub a yellow wax crayon across the stamping, then wipe the surface clean...it will highlight the maker's markings. An old gunsmith's trick for making make/model/serial# visible in photos.

I tried the crayon, but I'm not sure how well it worked. Here are 2 more pics, one with the crayon and 1 without.
    IMG_3659.jpgIMG_3656.jpg

The chisel has three blocks of characters. The very top ones (nearly riding up the tang) are illegible.

The second block of two characters is much clearer, and says "Koshimitsu." Koshi means to pass over, or move, or exceed. Mitsu means only "light."

The last block of two characters is written backwards (mirror image) and says "terakyu" which translates literally to 'temple grade."

Koshimitsu brand is matsumura chisels.