Thread: Plastics

Plastics

For a wood project, don't worry. I'm fantasizing about getting into solo backpacking and I like the idea of the first two at camp meals being cooked from perishables so I have to design a "lightweight" (ha ha) refrigerator to carry. I'm thinking a plywood box lined with high density polyethelene and a few of those freezer packs inside. I can build it and do a field test but I thought I would see if anyone has experience with plastics and could tell me if this is a sound idea or not.

I think I would leave my car and a cooler full of ice, pack the perishables a little before noon, eat the dinner portion at approx. 7 p.m. and breakfast at approx 8 a.m.. I wanted to pack a nice steak for the dinner and sausage and eggs for the breakfast. I understand that eggs do not need to be refrigerated if they have not had their natural coating washed off so I would hope I could find a local farmer that can sell me unwashed eggs and then I would not need to make the box too big. I would probably try to take the trip in the fall after our summer heat has subsided a bit so I hope temperature would not go above 70's. To keep size and weight down I would try to make a box that could accomodate four freezer packs, each about 4" x 6" and 1" thick.

So, anyone have any relative experience they could share. Input?
    Thanks.

Google up backpack coolers. Lots of stuff out there.

John
    Way back in the early 70, we would keep all steaks and bacon in cooler with dry ice for the drive to the trail head. Then by dinner time it was defrosted and ready for cooking. No need to build a cooler just keep them in the center of your rolled up sleeping bag. Tom

John,

I have spent extended time in the back country. I don't think I would want to carry the weight of a plywood and plastic cooler in my pack. I have taken several days worth of frozen meals packed in a soft insulated cooler. I usually use zip lock bags. I will take the zip locks full of thawed meals, stack them in my soft cooler tightly together, then put the works in the freezer for a few days prior to the trip to get them frozen solid. Stack them so that they will come apart when frozen. This goes in the center of my pack surrounded by insulating clothes and my sleeping bag. If I am careful, the center of this mass of food will still be very cold or even frozen 3 days later in 60+ degree weather. If I go for more than 3-4 days, I usually go for dry food towards the end. By then, my palate is willing to eat anything!

If you are headed to snow country, it gets even easier.

Happy trails!

Jon
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

You want to get into solo backpacking but want to eat steak and sausage and eggs? That sounds pretty posh for backpacking, but a nice treat! I think it would be a lot easier to buy a small cooler if you think you really need it.

Whether you buy or build, what will you do with it when it's empty?

Space management and lightweight is a big part of backpacking.

For the first couple of nights, we freeze Filet Mignon, put it in a freezer ziplock bag, and bury it between all the clothes. In cold weather, it's usually not ready to cook until the second night. We don't do backpacking in hot weather anyway. Everything we carry goes into ziplock bags. Clothes mostly in 2 gallon ones. Squeeze all the air out with your knees, zip it closed getting as much of the air out as you can, and everything is not only waterproof, but takes up less room.

For long trips, food gets carried in big Pretzel jugs. They don't weigh much, but are plenty strong, and don't crush the crackers. No need to build anything. There are plenty of lightweight things that work well.

Study, machine, and apply plastics daily. Generally about twice as heavy as wood (say for AC & PE), not the greatest heat insulator.
    Wood is good tho. I never sleep in the dirt, would take the advice of campers.

Blog Entries
    Dry ice, a card board box slightly larger than needed to hold the items in question and crumpled up newspaper will keep stuff frozen for a couple of days. Then you can use the newspaper and cardboard as a fire stater. The dry ice can just sublimate. No weight to carry any further than necessary.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

you will not need to freeze the meats If you buy meals ready to eat [mrte

On the helpful side:
    when camping, I rank the meats jn order of spoilage. Chicken, then pork, then beef. I would plan chicken 1st night, pork chops next night, steak 3rd night. Refrigerate chicken, place between frozen pork chops, then between frozen steaks. Place all in a plastic bag and wrap in clothing. Eggs last a long time if kept from heat, even longer if dipped for 20 seconds in boiling water. For fun, make tomato.rollups - slowly dried tomato sauce spread thinly on a oiled cookie sheet. Then rolled up on saran wrap. Reconstitute in boiling water and serve over pasta.

On the fun side:

imitate lady Gaga's beef clothing (google it). Eat as you go, nothing to carry out!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I wouldn't put too much work into it, as I can't believe there will be a second trip.
    If you cover any distance at all, freeze dried will taste just fine.

Just in general, solo backpacking is a bad idea. Splitting stuff between two people makes for a much lighter load, and if you have a minor accident it is nice if someone know.

Guys, thanks. I learned a lot in one short thread! I should have mentioned that the idea of my fantasy camp is hike, set up camp, cook a really good meal, drink wine, make desert and watch a movie. Breakfast then break camp and go home. Parks aren't real big in eastern Pa. from what I see on maps. I'm also not in great shape so I will not hike for days; hopefully my body can handle it and I won't be too far from help if an accident occurs. Family will know my location and I do possess cellular.

I wanted to build this partly because I like to build stuff and this seemed like a neat idea. I don't like freezing meat and defrosting...just don't do it. So, I had no idea those cooler things are as efficient as they say. I was comparing to things I've used in the past, like my work lunch container, daughter's similar chool lunch cooler thing. From what I now read I get a better impression of them. Perhaps they are better insulated.

Again, learned a lot guys. Thank you. I am a bit new to this idea, my camping in earlier years was crap food and I just plain like the idea of fine cooking in the woods. My next ventures may be car camping, this was something I always wanted to do for years. The fantasy meal is steak broiled on a simple grill, either garlic crusted or with a pesto. Asparagus also grilled and sprinkled with parmagian. Baked potatoe with sour cream and butter. Merlot goes with. Dessert is an orange stuffed with brownie mix and baked (wrapped in tinfoil and "baked" like the potatoe.). Jury is out on whether make a quick sauce for the orange...maybe an orange juice, balsamic vinegar and sugar reduction. Yes, I may have a heart attack and not make it home.

Btw, I don't share.