Thread: Yet Even More Clamp Advice Sought

Yet Even More Clamp Advice Sought

Not wanting to threadjack Dan Forman's Well-Rounded Clamp Collection thread, I have a similar question, but more from a "getting started with good clamps" point of view.

I've decided to take advantage of the Gross Stabil sale at AllProTools, but unlike Dan, I don't have any other parallel jaw clamps like the Bessey K body. Like Dan, I'm trying to decide which size to buy, but I don't already have the four 24" and four 40" Besseys that he does. I do have six 1/2" pipe clamps (currently on four 24" and two 60" pipes, but we all know that's easy enough to change) and a handful of crummy 24" to 48" bar clamps that are essentially worthless. I'm thinking of a starter set of four of the GS clamps, because I'd like to try something that stays more square, but could use advice on what size(s) to buy. My current projects all seem to fit my 24" pipe clamps, but I'm leaning towards the 32" GS clamps. I'm thinking it gives me more than ample room for current work (and a bit beyond), and I can always use the pipe clamps on longer pipes for bigger stuff. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance -

- Vaughn

I think that makes sense. Of all the clamps I have, the 24" variety probably get the most use....and I've got some 36" that see very little. 32" seems like a good compromise.

KC

I actually prefer the 36" and larger sizes. I think that 32" is a good size though. It has enough room between the jaws for a wide range of applications, and projects
    I have a lot of 48"-60" clamps also, because I know that there is dining room table project on the horizon.
    Of course, I'm not sure that there is a "bad" clamp length.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    ...Of course, I'm not sure that there is a "bad" clamp length.
    You're right on that. That one's in the same category as having too many clamps. Can't be done.

Thanks for the input guys...looks like my line of thinking isn't too far off base -

- Vaughn

Vaughn, besides 12 K-Body and a few Cab Masters, I currently have 28 GS clamps. Of those 28 GS units, exactly half of them are 24". Kinda' shows you what type the bulk of my work falls into! One thing to consider with the GS clamps is, whatever size you decide on, count on the actual capacity to be a couple inches larger!!! For instance, on the 24"-ers, the real capacity between the jaws is 26". Same goes for the smaller and larger units. Kind of a nice deviation from the "norm"! FWIW, between the Bessey's, Jorgies and GS, the latter clamps are the ones I most often grab. Having said that, ALL three of the major OEM's make a nice unit, though GS just happens to be my preference.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I was in your shoes a short time ago, I had the opportunity to compare the GS with the K (in an actual shop) and decided to go with the GS. Got six 24” and four 40” to get started.<O</O

Effie.

Thanks again for the advice all...I just put in an order for four of the 32" GS clamps. That size just seemed to make the most sense for the projects I have planned in the relatively near future. I guess if they're just too long, I'll have to talk myself into a few of the 24" models.

As a bonus, LOML says she'll kick in a few bucks on the purchase as my birthday present. I guess I'll have to make something for her, huh?

- Vaughn

The largest number of my K-bodies are 24". I have quite a few 40", too. Only a couple 30" and four 60". This seems to meet the needs of my projects for the most part. That's really what you need to consider when assembling your clamp stable...how will they be used and generally on "what". Having a few decent pipe clamps is a good idea, too, for those times when you need to make up something longer than normal for a larger project...you can easily "stretch" them with more pipe and couplers.

I will say, be really careful of using clamps that are "too long". They have a direct preponderence to find various places on your body as you move through your shop...and that can be painful. DAMHIKT!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...