Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop built dovetail saws

Mike, I especially like the saw on the left, too, same reasons as george mentioned. Maybe I missed it, but the pattern does look like the blackburn pattern that ron b referenced, which has a couple of things on it that I don't love, but it's a good solid pattern to use.

I agree with george on the pips - one of the things I don't like about blackburns handle is that I'd like the top curves to come in a little sharper and the pip to be smaller and crisp, and if the gap is two large for one, add two small sharp ones next to each other and not have the carving go into the side.

That said, I am a hack, and I can't make them any better or maybe even as good, george has just poisoned our brains to expect perfection in lines!

As far as the bent plates go, I have moaned and groaned because they are not visually perfect, but to see how easily the plates flex, one only has to push the bend the other way via finger to see that they will never make a lick of difference as the shape of the cut in these thinner saws is determined by the shape of the tooth entrance into the wood, and we control that.

I am sorry to say that the worst saw that I have made in terms of cosmetics and straightness is a better saw to use than any of the "good" saws that I have. It cuts straight tight dovetails, fast and easy. I had bought the kit to make it wanting a saw with a lower plate for vise work, and despite all of the uglies, the orientation of all of the bits and pieces is just ideal.

I am for sure, done building saws, though. I don't mind refurbishing old saws, and if I see them cheap somewhere I may buy the old ones just because i like things that are old and such, but as they say on shark tank about new ones....I'm out.

George has big rounded pips. I still like the small sharp ones, even though the fact that george has big ones and I like small ones effectively means I have exactly a 0% chance of being right about that topic.

There's right, and there's historically correct.

I suspect that the visual appeal of fine tapers
    helped sell some of the products.

Given how few, well-used, ancient examples I've found with an intact handle
    that has sharp features I don't think it has much utility.

Jim,can you please clarify your above statement? I can't figure out what you mean. Thank you.