Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just tried moly spray!

Just tried moly spray!

I got some moly spray. I'm pretty happy with the results. Not as dark as cermark, but acceptable. $14 or 11oz from grainer. I tried rubbing the image off with a few different thinners. The image did not move at all.

Hi Clark.
    What settings are you using? And what is your machine?

I bought a can of a dry moly lube, and I swear by it.
    I get better results then I ever have with Cermark, and a lot more consistent.

A little tip, try applying three coats of the moly.
    They've all got a drying agent in them anyway, so shouldn't take more then a minute until you can apply the next coat anyway.
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

Clark - Mitchell -
    I've got' a ask - exactly what is "molly spray" or "dry moly lube"; if it's been mentioned 'fore, I've missed it. Would be great to find an effective alternative to Cermark in the can. (my last couple jobs using Cermark spray didn't turn out: a JDS chrome lighter 'n a stainless thermos.) And, if it's less expensive - all the better. (where do I find it to try? - and, what more can you tell me 'bout it. (I read an earlier thread where some make their own solution of some type, but was over my head - so ...

Bill

Blog Entries
    Bill,

Here is a good thread link to it. Some brand names, discussion of how it worked. etc.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Paris-try-this

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Hi Bill.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Paris-try-this

Link to and old thread, still well worth a read.

A few different brands are mentioned, and I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm from Australia and didn't have the same brands available.

I bought a can of 'Molytec - Dry Molybdenum Lubricant' however I presume all brands are the same.

Comes ready to go in an aerosol can. Easy to use, I get a mark equally as dark as Cermark, I run a lot hotter however, I even get some depth into the metal, you can actually feel the engraving. Couldn't recommend it more. Wish I'd known about this before I bought a tub of Cermark.

*Edit* Looks like Dave beat me to it.
    Last edited by Mitchell Tutty; 07-22-2014 at 8:41 PM.
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

My test for 200mm sec at 50 power. 100 watt glass tube.

How do we know it worked? You know what they say over on the WW forum---"no pics--didn't happen".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    How do we know it worked? You know what they say over on the WW forum---"no pics--didn't happen".
    I know pics are nice so here is one, but to infer that I am not telling the truth? Really!!! Why would I fake it? And pictures are proof??? Just about anyone with experience could fake it with photoshop!

Anyways there are nicer ways to ask for a picture!
    cam47.jpg

P.S. this is stainless steel. I'm not sure on other metals. I'll try aluminum next.

Clark, it's just a saying used frequently on the internet, not a personal attack on your honesty.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Clark

There was no intent to impune your honesty nor to doubt what you did. When someone is relating a new experience with a product or process untested by most of us pictures are a natural complement to the post.

I forgot that not all of us share the same sense of humor.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    I know pics are nice so here is one, but to infer that I am not telling the truth? Really!!! Why would I fake it? And pictures are proof??? Just about anyone with experience could fake it with photoshop!

Anyways there are nicer ways to ask for a picture! ...
    Relax, nothing personal. I don't think Mike could be rude if he tried.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Note taken!

All -
    Personally, I think it's absolutely astounding how just 'bout everyone on SMC is so patient 'n understanding with each other. (whatever the post.) As we all differ in age, knowledge, experience, equipment, levels of business size 'n success, etc. Not to fail to mention whatever pressure we may be under, at any given time, to find, or provide, an answer. Still, 'suppose it's easy enough to misinterpret someone's meaning, or attempt at humor? How 'bout we change it to read: "A picture is worth a thousand words." Now, back to work ...

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

All,

I found this experiment experience in the internet, it looks like is from a member here since he mentioned this place, take a look at his findings, HERE

Ruben

200mm/sec and 50W is crawling. You may save a few bucks in material but you lose it in production time. My 8 year old 30W laser does Cermark over 2x as fast.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving