Thread: Delta Drum Sander Shaft Repair

Delta Drum Sander Shaft Repair

A few weeks ago I asked for advise on how to repair some shaft damage on my Delta drum sander. I took the advise of those who said to take it to a machine shop. Today I got it back. Here's what it looks like after their repair work.

IMG_3558.JPG

Sorry, no before pictures. The damaged area was the middle third of the larger diameter section. The set screws on the bearing had come loose and cut a groove into the shaft. Additionally, the shaft itself had worn down under the bearing. To affect the repair the machine shop first turned down the damaged area to get to fresh metal, then laid weld into it until they had built it up enough to machine back down. Took them about an hour I was told - cost $75.

Here it is back in the machine, facing the other direction. I made sure to use thread locker on all the set screws.

IMG_3560.JPG

And all done.

IMG_3561.JPG

Initially, I had the belt on too tight, and it made quite a clacking sound. After I got that adjusted properly it ran smoother than when I first got it. I bought it used. Anyway, no vibration starting, running, or spinning down, and it sands beautifully. I'm a happy guy.

John

I love a happy ending! Congratulations on a successful repair!

+1 to congratulations. Glad you have it back in service. I have the same machine. Think I will check out those setscrews on mine.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 07-22-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Nice save at a good price!
    Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    +1 to congratulations. Glad you have it back in service. I have the same machine. Think I will check out those setscrews on mine.
    Thanks.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Actually, a good idea for anyone who has a drum sander of any type.

John