Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drunken purchase

drunken purchase

A couple of weeks ago, I was having some adult beverages. Knowing better than to go into the shop, I hung out on some websites. I had a project coming up that required a ton of mortises. The only chisels I had were the blue handle Marples. They have served me well, and since I have never used anything else, they were the best chisels ever. I was looking at various sites and all different manufacturer mortise chisels. I decided on some pig stickers, added to cart, and put in my CC number. A few days later, my set of LN bench chisels showed up. I have looked at these many, many times, but the cost always kept me away. Now there was a set in my house. Not the mortise chisels I wanted, but oh, these felt good in my hand. They sat on my kitchen counter for almost a week, debating on sending them back. Who needs a $300 set of chisels?

The chisels cried out to me. I took them in the shop and gave them a shot. So now I'm trying to figure out, is drunken tool buying a good thing or not? Have I mentioned how nice these chisels are? I still don't have any pigstickers, but bench chisels cut some pretty nice mortises.
    The trick to being good with a plane is being bad with a saw.

Only your bank balance can answer that question. But congratulations. At least you weren't watching QVC or the Shopping Network at the time of your impulsive buy.

A little "liquid courage" to get you over the hump can sometimes be a good thing. As long as it doesn't become habit forming.

None the less, those are beautiful chisels and will last you a lifetime. Congrat's on your new chisels.

I once put my full set of LN chisels up for sale. I've always been been very happy that they didn't sell.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I would say that drunken buying worked out for you.

It would be bad if you bought bad stuff. But yeah, the LN mortise is wonderful. I own the same blue chisels but I do not use them for mortises as it is not robust and does not
    have a taper for the mortise wall.

Well. At least you had a believable excuse. "But Honey" " I really did accidentally hit the buy it now button and then lost all control and put in this number that turned out to be my CC number" Oh woe is me.

I have tendency to hit ebay late on Friday nights after a few beverages. Its worked out well for me so far.

I stay away from LV/LN at those times...too much potential for me to do something that could get me divorced .

Those are some nice chisels you got...I'm sure you'll love owning them.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I have tendency to hit ebay late on Friday nights after a few beverages. Its worked out well for me so far.

I stay away from LV/LN at those times...too much potential for me to do something that could get me divorced .

Those are some nice chisels you got...I'm sure you'll love owning them.
    Lesson learned on that one her. Don't visit those sites with a CC readily available and your liquid courage freely flowing.

Thankfully, I get home before my wife and can clear any evidence of buying sprees off the front steps before she sees. Either she's completely oblivious about some of my buys, or completely understanding.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I have a pretty strict policy for myself. I don't reply to work emails or shop online after 2 beverages. I do break rule #2 from time to time.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Either she's completely oblivious about some of my buys, or completely understanding.
    In addition to our main joint accounts, we each maintain our own fun money bank accounts. We've developed a pretty healthy don't ask don't tell policy when it comes to treating ourselves.

A couple of drinks makes me too lazy to look at the internet, but a break during a busy stint at work where I haven't gotten into the shop in a while or a late night after coming home from work and I can do a lot of damage on ebay.

All it takes is a few hours in the shop and some fatigue, and you get the feeling "I don't want to buy any more tools, look at all of this crap around here that I have that I don't need", but without that shop time, you forget how much junk you have. It's always easier to get it than it is to get rid of it, though - especially with large low value stuff like big woodies and saws.

Blog Entries
    in addition to handtools for wood working, I also enjoy japanese landscaping and bonsai tools, antique pottery, books, art glass and silver....so all kinds of weird items can show up after ebaying with a wee dram ( or more!).
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-23-2014 at 8:44 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Heck,I buy medicine that costs half that much,and isn't that much fun to use!!

David: I take one drink at bed time,and I'm sure not on the computer to buy tools!!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Well, let me say this about that: 30 years ago, after a drunken night of rabble rousing, I stopped in a building my now deceased father & I were remodeling. It was around 2:00 AM, and being in a drunken state, I sat down for a spell, fell asleep and did not awaken until the birds were chirping. I dragged my butt home after 7:00 AM and the post drunken state cost me the purchase of a new vehicle for my wife.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (tool related because I stopped in where I was working to gather some tools!).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    One can never have too many chisels. I suggest you buy some pig stickers from Tools for Working Wood.

That's what I did. I have both and don't regret it.

Becksvoort has a method for making mortises. He drill as series of holes, and then when ready, puts the LN mortise in one end, and then he shoves the handle foreward. It clears the sides of the mortise.

Remember, he who has the most tools when he passes, WINS!

I took a plane making clas from Todd Herrli 6 or 8 years ago. It required 1/8" and a 1/4" mortice chisels. I grumped about the lack of choices and the cost and my loving wife said "Why don't you get the chisels from that place you like where you buy those handplanes, they sell good stuff, right?"

No complaints whatsoever except I only had the two. On my summer vacation in Maine about a month ago, I stopped at LN, got shown around the shop, and bought the last one. Bought a couple at handtool events over the years. Now I am a happy man as I have the entire set.

Take Care,

HB